AUGUSTA, MAINE small animal swap (this includes us chickens) saturday April 7th TSC

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by hoppy, Mar 31, 2012.

1. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    April 7th small animal swap, chickens, rabbits, anything small, this includes baby animals, piggies, goats, sheep (make sure to have those scrape tags).
    time is 8-2 no fee to set up in the parking lot at Tractor Supply Company civic center drive, augusta.
    for those selling, make sure to bring water for your animals and boxes to send them home in. (also remember to clean up after yourself when you leave, we want to be invited back)
    for those buying, bring boxes, they seem to be hard to come by some weekends and plenty of cash to spend.

please remember the 6 chick rule, if they are under 8 weeks, they must be sold in lots of 6 .
    now all the legal mumbo jumbo (thanks bob for sharing)
    ------------------------------------

IT WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH VENDOR TO ABIDE BY STATE OF MAINE LAWS AND REGULATIONS; TO PROVIDE ANY REQUIRED LICENSING, ADEQUATE SHELTER, CAGING, WATER AND FOOD FOR THEIR ANIMALS; & TO CLEAN UP THEIR AREAS WHEN LEAVING.

Maine State Laws governing the sale of poultry/waterfowl & goats

Maine State Law:

MAINE RULES AND REGS ON SALES OF LIVESTOCK, POULTRY, WATERFOWL, MILK, CHEESE

http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/ahi/ahisr.html
    5A. ALL SHEEP AND GOATS IN MAINE AND OUT OF STATE ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE SCRAPIE TAGS.

clarification of scrape info:

all goats or sheep leaving their farm (going to a swap, show, walk around the neighborhood or sale of any kind in or out of state) need to have a scrape number. this number is on a tag or can be tattooed on the animal. tags are free and so is the applicator. the person needs to call Gail at the fed USDA 866-873-2824 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 866-873-2824 end_of_the_skype_highlighting and she will send out tags for the farm and the applicator. the tag is a way to trace back to the farm of origin if there is a problem. so if she has a goat that she bought elsewhere and it has a scrape tag, it doesn't need a new tag as long as that tag is still attached to the animal. if the tag come off, she needs to put on her scrape tag. if she goes the tattoo route, ear, thigh, or tail fold.

Read more: http://farmdaysanfordmaine.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rules&action=display&thread=1#ixzz1qskeyCwn

5B. birds do not need to be in the NPIP Program. Its great if your birds are Typhoid & Pollorum tested to keep these diseases out of US.

The only time you need to have tested birds is at a fair/show.

The only stipulations are that at public events in Maine you have to sell any birds under 8 weeks old in lots of 6, above the 8 weeks, they can go one at a time. Now, from your house or farm you can sell singular birds of any age.

You must purchase 6 from the one family the chicks are raised in, not 1 bird here, 1 bird there. (I believe its the pecking order and younger chicks could be harmed)

NO PROCESSING OR NEUTERING OF ANIMALS

Mammals must be completely weaned and minimum of 8 weeks old.

RULES FOR OUT OF STATE VENDORS

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/01/001/001c206.doc

VENDORS DO NOT NEED A VENDORS LICENSE UNLESS THE VENDOR BUYS LIVESTOCK, POULTRY OR WATERFOWL TO RE-SELL

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection: A legible certificate signed by an accredited veterinarian and approved by the chief livestock official of the state or country of origin stating that the animals are free from signs of contagious, infectious and communicable diseases and containing the following:

1. An official identification number, or identification satisfactory to the commissioner, for each animal
    2. Age, sex and breed of each animal
    3. The results of any qualifying test
    4. The exact address of consignor (sender) and consignee (receiver).
    5. The expected date of entry

NH & out of state residents should have a copy of their NPIP form to show that the flocks of origin for their birds were NPIP certified.

Rule Chapters for the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Resources
    01 001 Agriculture General

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/01/chaps01.htmL

ok, so who is coming and what will you be bringing!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I am coming to this afterall. my son's birthday but dad has to work.
    I have to go through pens to see what is left and of age.
    I will the pair of black orpingtons (split to lavender)
    and a pair of lavender orps (maybe I should switch those to a lav with a split lav)
    and maybe 6-12 chicks orps, easter eggers and wyandottes 2-3 week olds
    and for those asking, sizzle eggs are going in the incubator today and they take 3 weeks to hatch.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. TayFray!

TayFray! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    I may be going to this swap!! I called and asked about it yesterday and they said that you can set up at 2 and stay as late as you want! I have softball practice at 8 in the morning but might be able to miss a little of it and go to the swap. If I go I will be bringing 2 little mallard ducklings, a dwarf mix doe rabbit, a black mini rex doe, a chocolate mini rex buck for stud (not for sale) and some buff silkie chicks. I may also bring some feeders and waterers and supplies, as well as some eggs for sale! (some fertile) I really want to go, I just have to work things out with softball!

I will be looking for:

Hens or any breed Bantams and standards!
    Silver spangled hamburg chickens
    silver pheonix chickens
    bunnies etc.
    quail
    etc...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    how old are you ducklings? 8 weeks right?

5. TayFray!

TayFray! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    must be, I got them at a swap yesterday, they are getting feathers in but I dont know, They are still small but I got them at a swap just the 2 of them, so they must be.

6. stano40

stano40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern Maine

Needed to note the change in 5a of the Maine scrapie law listed above. If it helps I put the entire law and anything else I found so far about the scrapie law and tags on the read more site listed above.

Not to steal any thunder from this wonderful site but I feel this new law in Maine deserves to be noted so no one gets hurt .

It's so nice to see farm days and chicken swaps popping up all over Maine. Especially with the help of tractor supply stores and hosting these events for us. I really give credit to spook for starting all this in Maine ... that a way spook I hope you are well and having a great time.

bob

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    thanks Bob, I updated the first post with the info

8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I will be bringing some Emu eggs, big black or green eggs all blown out.

9. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i am looking for cuckoo marans or any marans prefer as close to laying as possible

also looking for some giant cochins pair trio open to either.

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    darn, I have marans but too young (black copper) and giant cochins just going in the incubator tonight BBS.
    guess mine will be way too young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by