Auntie Fergie

aurajean515

Chirping
Oct 6, 2018
Hey guys! I’ve recently had 18 chicks hatch and my broody hen, Annie, has been caring for them. She does a great job!
This is the 2nd time a broody has hatched eggs, but only the first time I’ve allowed her to care for them. She’s in the brooder pen with the chicks, which is a smaller coop inside the main one to integrate new chickens. I leave the door open while I’m feeding, watering, or cleaning, and I’ve noticed that any time any of the other girls come near her or the chicks, she goes after them. I’m aware this is completely normal. But! Theres one hen, Fergie, who she allows in the coop with her without hesitation, and Fergie is very polite to both Annie and the chicks. I even saw her today, Annie was out of the brooder and Fergie went right in there and minded her own business, didn’t grumble or peck at any of the chicks, even let them eat with her. I originally assumed she was only being nice as to avoid the wrath of Mama, but seeing her without Annies supervisions baffled me. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

My guess would be that Fergie is above Annie on the pecking order.
luckly Fergie appears to be non aggresive to the chicks. Might think about just letting Annie and her chicks freely mix with the others. With supervision for the first few days.
Sometimes its just easy like that. Depends on the temperments of your birds.
Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom