auracana,ameracana,or easter egger

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bigchickenman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    I was told this was a americana(sorry for the spelling).I know it's a hen and she lays a pretty blue egg.Just wondering what breed.Thanks[​IMG]

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    It is an Easter-egger It is very pretty.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Yup, that's an easter egger. Ameraucana's have specific color/variation standards.

4. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I think an Araucana has no rump (tail) and always lays a blue egg if it is a pure Araucana, but they are rare. I think an Ameraucana lays a blue or bluish/green egg, and I think the egg is larger, not sure. I think an EE can lay any color of an egg. My EE lays a bluish-green egg and has a tail, and she has a beard and some muffs too. I am so happy with her production and egg color, that I ordered some more EEs yesterday. The different shades of eggs look so beautiful in an egg carton, and my family is thrilled at the different colors when I sell them eggs.

5. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    One of my two easter eggers laid her first egg yesterday. [​IMG] It wasn't blue. [​IMG] It was a kind of off white, with a slight green tinge. [​IMG] Will the color of her eggs change? [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes the very first egg is lighter than it will be normally. Wait till her second one to judge color.

I have an EE almost identical to the OP's, see? Here's June, who lays jumbo green eggs. She was from someone working on the new Salmon color, but they also had some Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, so could be a rooster jumped the fence, LOL:

[​IMG]

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I have a similar looking EE too, she lays a pale greenish egg. When she first started laying it was bluer, but she's getting older. She is also boss hen around here.

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    EE, pretty!

9. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    While we are on the subject of EE. Why do some have the beard and whiskers and some don't. The one I have that I think laid the egg yesterday, has no beard. I call her Pat, because she looks like a rooster to me, you know, what about Pat? [​IMG] The other one I call Julie, she has the beard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She has a teensy bit of beard there, I think. On occasion you will get a beardless Ameraucana, not just EE. It's a fault, certainly, and if you were breeding true Ameraucanas, you would remove her from the gene pool. As an EE, anything goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by