Auracana not laying yet

hawk

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
We have an Auracana, (easter egger) not laying yet, she is 6 1/2 months old now, is this normal?

Yes. Just be patient.
smile.png
I have an Easter Egger who I'm still waiting on, and she's 6 months old - While my Araucanas, who supposedly begin around 6-7 months old, started laying at 4-5 months.

Also, you know Araucanas are completely different from Easter Eggers, right?

I thought an easter egger was a slang for an auracana.

Nope.
smile.png

These are real Araucanas. They should have no tails, only lay blue eggs, and often have tufts. They should also have yellow skin. They're very rare.

4995284456_e8fffefab3_z.jpg

4996328244_9b84f81c36_z.jpg

4995720135_5b6d63309d_z.jpg

Easter Egger is the slang for the mutts that hatcheries sell under false claim of Araucanas or Ameraucanas.

Quote:
Oh boy.
lol.png

Ameraucanas are tailed, muffed/bearded, slate legged, white skinned, and larger in body size. Also, they only come in 8 recognized colors: Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Buff, White, Black, Blue, Brown-Red, and Silver.

Araucanas are rumpless, tufted, willow-legged, yellow skinned, and smaller. They only come in 5 recognized colors, but unrecognized colors are allowed in shows as AOV. Their colors are Silver Duckwing, Gold Duckwing, White, Black, and Black-Breasted Red.

Both should lay blue eggs and both are a true breed.

Here's some Ameraucanas for contrast:

5033971479_3bddcaedcb_z.jpg

5033996555_786f8fcb98_z.jpg

5116091538_408fdcff52_z.jpg

5031936715_9f5553916b_z.jpg

The topic of Araucana vs Ameraucana vs Easter Egger can be very confusing, but if you really study it, after a while it becomes easy to see the differences.
smile.png

The number one rule though is that if your chicken came from a feedstore, hatchery, or local neighbor - It is an Easter Egger (mutt) and not an Araucana or Ameraucana. Both the breeds are rare, and usually only found from reputable show breeders.

Last edited:
I guess then we have an ameraucana, she's the buff color , looks just like the last picture, we call her Mrs. Gibbs or Gibsy from " Gibbs " of "Pirates of the Carribean"...maybe she doesn't find that very funny.

Quote:
And that's where the confusion runs in.
wink.png

Buff Ameraucanas are extremely rare, I've only known 3 breeders of them in the US, and few people ask for them.

I believe you have an Easter Egger. Did you get her from a feedstore or hatchery? Does she have any black on her at all? (in the tail, perhaps the neck?) The most common Easter Egger colors often look buff, but they're actually not.

Either way, she's still a precious hen and may lay green or blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom