Auracana or Ameraucana X Serama ? Pic attached!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4kidZ, Nov 8, 2008.

1. 4kidZ

4kidZ Fluffy Butt Farmer

OKAY.
    I personally would never had done this, but I certainly wouldn't have predicted this comb, either. My brother in law just brought me 8 birds from a guy who is moving from FL to Costa Rica.

One being a Auracana or Ameraucana crossed with Serama. Don't know if the mom or dad was the Serama. [​IMG]

Any thoughts on which it would be, and what the other would be. He has mated with the Frizzle hen (1 that came with the group) and she has laid 2 blue/green eggs. Can you imagine that mutt? Friz-acana-rama?! [​IMG]

oh dear! [​IMG] Do you think the Serama to his left is his Dad???
    [​IMG]

here he is with the frizzle hen:
    [​IMG]

edit:posted another picture

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I really want the one with the frizzle. Jealous. Envious. I will have to go to mass now. Thanks.

3. 4kidZ

4kidZ Fluffy Butt Farmer

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

I really want the one with the frizzle. Jealous. Envious. I will have to go to mass now. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Well, they are in love, so there are certainly more eggs to come. And can you believe she is molting and has been laying up to brother-in-laws move on Sunday and over to here on Monday??

They will be cute chicks [​IMG]

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I see no araucanas there. An araucana is rumpless and sometimes has tufts (that look like a handlebar mustache). Doesnt look like americana either. Maybe just an EE. He is handsome though, does look a little like that serama may have played a part here. [​IMG]

Just noticed the leg feathering, none of the breeds listed have leg feathering. So someone else snuck in there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I think the roo looks like it is part lt brahma [​IMG]

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yep...definitely some Light Brahma in there. The legs are that off-green color so possibly Ameracauna x Light Brahma? BUT...then that would mean the comb of one of the parents was single...but...oh well...LOL

7. 4kidZ

4kidZ Fluffy Butt Farmer

I thought so too, esp after going to the Ameraucana website, but the guy bred an Ameraucana or Auracana with a Serama...not an Easter Egger...

Here's some better photos...notice the feathered legs.
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~4kidZ

8. 4kidZ

4kidZ Fluffy Butt Farmer

Quote:Not possible..the guy has only bred and raised Serama, Amer or Arau and Frizzle. It is for sure a project that he started of breeding a Serama w/ the big bird. Nothing else....

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    What a funky comb!

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Well, I have to say there is no way that that is a serama x ameraucana or araucana. First of all neither breed has feathered shanks. I have to agree it probably was an EE, most people think they have ameraucana because the hatcheries sell them as such, but are truly just EEs. Now there is a chance that the parent was a frizzle as most frizzles are cochins which have feathered shanks, which throw smooth feathered chicks. Is it likely a frizzle x serama?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by