Auracana vs. Ameracana vs. EE's?? Breeders??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by openheartnurse, Jan 22, 2012.

1. openheartnurse

openheartnurse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    So I know there is a HUGE thread about these varieties, but it would take me days and days to read them all. I am wondering what the difference between the three varieties are. They all seem very similar, but I am sure that they have differences. My other question would be, are there any great breeders or hatcheries out there that sell a "pure breed"? I have just heard stories of people buying one type and it ending up to be another variety. I live in Central Illinois, so it would be nice to find a breeder close ... if possible. Thanks again ladies and gents!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    There is a breeder of both true Araucanas and Ameraucanas in IL, not sure how close but at least it is the same state. The place is called Chicken Scratch Poultry. I've gotten hatching eggs from them, really nice looking eggs and I had a good hatch rate too!

3. openheartnurse

Jan 13, 2012
    Thank you ... hey you are from Escanaba ... I work at OSF in Peoria, IL ... you have an OSF up there as well. :eek:)

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Here's the difference in a nutshell. A big hint/bit of info to always remember is that Araucanas look NOTHING like Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas. [​IMG]

Hatcheries do not, no matter their claim, sell purebred Ameraucanas or Araucanas as day old chicks.

Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers do look a lot alike at times because both are tailed, lay colored eggs, and have muffs/beard. But - Ameraucanas ONLY have white soles on their feet, and ONLY have blue or black legs. They ONLY come in 8 recognized colors and if a bird looks just slightly different from the recognized color it is claimed to be, there's a very very good chance it is not that color nor an Ameraucana.

Most EE hens are brown and black or gray and red. Most EE roosters and red and black or white/yellow and black.

Araucanas seriously differ in not having a tail, not having beard/muffs, and instead about half the population of them out there have tufts. Tufts are not beard/muffs, they are literal feathers instead of fluff that come out from each side of the face and curl up, down, back, or forwards. Some have only one tuft though, and many have none. Araucanas only come in 5 recognized colors but are allowed and in most cases come in many mixed, unrecognized colors. Araucanas though should ONLY have yellow soles on their feet, yellow skin, and green or yellow legs.

Does that help? [​IMG] If not I have photos of all three, as I breed all three.

5. openheartnurse

Jan 13, 2012
    Helps a lot, but still a few questions. [​IMG] So is the EE's breed kind of considered a mut of the chicken world? Amera VS. Aura ... one better than the other? tempermant? disease/health issues? cold hardy? know any breeders in IL?

P.S. ... I like your chicken egg color wheel!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    IL? No. You can look through the Ameraucana Breeders Club directory though, or even the Araucana Club's.

Easter Eggers aren't always mutts, they're basically a non-showable, non-recognized blue or green layer. Even to many people if you cross a Wheaten Am x Silver Am, you're getting yourself an EE. Since many hatchery EE's do look like them. But, in MOST cases, EE's are indeed "mutts."

As for Ameraucana vs Araucana -

This only pertains to mine, but, - My Araucanas tend to be the hardiest with both temperatures, hardiest to disease or other illnesses, and tend to lay much earlier and more much reliably, however, strains do differ. Some Ameraucanas are super, some I've had were very poor.

I personally LOVE Araucanas over Ameraucanas however some things in Ameraucanas are more preferred, such as a bigger bird, a tail that helps breeding/fertility, beard/muffs that aren't likely lethal if bred one to another, and honestly Araucana roosters can be some feisty guys! (not to people though, never had an aggresive one) but to other roosters they're like gamecocks. Very athletic and very territorial.

Araucanas, however, without their tail are better at foraging/free ranging in terms of escaping danger, are better fliers. They fill out their carcass faster, have more meat per body size, (strains do differ! Some are very skinny) and have better chances of laying more. They're a LOT more broody though but make super moms.

Both breeds are really people-friendly though, especially the roosters.

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have a relative who works for the Escanaba OSF who is in Peoria for OSF related work this week, what a small world! But then again, Peoria is the headquarters for OSF, if I remember right!

Illia pretty much covered a lot of the differences. Though one I might add is that Araucanas are super light eaters and great foragers. Now that my flock is mostly Araucana, I barely go through any feed at all. But in return, they provide great sized eggs (not huge, but not small) on a regular basis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by