Aureomycin for respiratory symptoms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jeffomatic, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Jeffomatic

Jeffomatic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    The directions for Aureomycin say not to give it to laying hens. Is that because the eggs would contain elevated levels for human consumption or does it hurt the chickens' laying or shell-forming ability or something?

I'd like to give my four hens a course of it try and cure the respiratory symptoms they are showing and just discard the eggs during treatment and a while after. Discarding the eggs for a while is not a big deal for such a small flock.

2. ciiams

ciiams New Egg

Jul 8, 2010
    can u get some duromycin 10 from a feed store or something it is for respiratory symptoms if it says not to give to ur girls then i would'nt

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    They will be fine. i withheld their eggs for 14 days after the meds ended. I had too many eggs anyways so it didnt bother me to throw them out.

4. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:Actually it says that because the drug was never tested on laying hens. The market is not big enough to warrent the cost of the research. In the poultry and livestock production industry Aureomycin is generally thought of as ineffecive in treating any illnesses. I think that there is no withdrawal time for meat animals. Check the label to verify that. Tells you a lot about the product.

I would suggest that you have a more certain diagnosis before you start any medication regemin.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is also the strong possibility that antibiotic residues will make it into the eggs. This could cause an allergic reaction by someon eating the egg that is allergic to the antibiotic. Most people feel that since it takes a bit under two weeks for entire formation of an egg, that two weeks is a good length of time for the bird t be off the medicine before using the eggs. However, this has not been tested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by