Aussie Chicken keeper

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Flashfire, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Flashfire

Flashfire New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Hello,

I have been keeping chickens for a couple of years now, I started out by buying a 5 acre property and before I knew it I had a friend, ask me to take on her 4 suburban chickens because she couldn't keep them anymore. At first they were alien creatures, I had cats and dogs but never had chickens before. So I just let them free range, fed them and collected their eggs. Then a friend asked me to take on a couple of chicks that were part of a school experiment. So like a sucker I took on the two chicks, which turned out to be two roosters. So you put roosters with chickens and what do you get. Broody bloody hens, I have been through one nesting and just left it all up to the chicken. She hatched 4 chicks, so they were added to the flock,

In the meantime I had lost a couple of the original chickens, one went bush and never came back, the other just fell off the perch and died. I bought a couple of Isabrowns, foxes got them, I bought a couple of leghorns, eagle got one and the local labrador got the other. I had to get rid of one of the roosters because he got very aggressive. Once he went the other rooster calmed down, although he got taken by a fox later on.

But now I have a flock of 6 and one rooster and my broody just hatched one chick out of 5 eggs, the other three died (I think the chicken ate one) and one egg has not started to hatch yet.

While I was watching the hatchling struggling to get out of its shell, I realised that I still don't know a great deal about chickens so its time to learn.

So here I am.

:)

Lee

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Lee, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community. Sorry you've had some hard luck with predators! Better luck with future birds!!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Sorry to hear that you've had a rough start. But congrats on your just hatched chick and good luck [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your bad start. Hope things go well for you now.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    :welcome

9. Flashfire

Flashfire New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Thanks for the welcomes. I have been reading lots of stuff on your website, its all a bit overwhelming. I am sure that I will get it. Had a look at my hatchling this morning and she is cheeping and huddled under her mumma, the other egg has not started to crack yet, but I will give it another couple of days. Sad about the other 3 eggs, but I think it was the
    other hens trying to lay in the nest with her and they trampled the eggs.

Regards Lee

[​IMG]

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Which part of oz are you from there are quite a few of us aussies on the site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by