Aussie Chooks - But what Breed ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IamSamSam, Apr 9, 2012.

1. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all

We purchased 2 older layers and 2 younger pullets at point of lay. I think they are Isa or barter browns.
    Anyone confirm or know for sure ? Sorry about the pictures they are not the best... These girls had been de-beaked before I got them through commercial egg laying (free-range barn) operation. My other chicks(lorp cross) have their beaks intact (purchase from backyard breeder)

Appreciate the help !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Looks like Production Reds to me. [​IMG]

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Definitely Production Reds [​IMG]

4. IamSamSam

thanks all [​IMG]

5. IamSamSam

sorry didnt post

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  6. karen dee

karen dee Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2012
    Hi, Been a long time. You mentioned some white on your Aussies. I read this comment today. Does this pertain maybe to yours?
    Mine are still quite skittish of sudden movements, but, are better than they were. I can only hope they keep improving.

7. karen dee

May 12, 2012
    oops!! I forgot this! :(

NOTE: The Black Australorp chicks will have a few white feathers in growing or juvenile stage. By 6 months of age all the adult feathering will be in full plumage and all feathers will be black.

8. IamSamSam

Hi Karen

Thanks for your post. I believe mine are Wyandotte cross lorp (father) x Lorp (mother). Here is a pic of the white lacing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roo still has these markings but her full sister does not. Its a shame but they are very strong personalitied chickens that wont take anything from any eagle/cockatoo or dog LOL

Roo actually killed a rat (and threw it out the pen) the other evening because it was in her food dish.[​IMG]

9. karen dee

May 12, 2012
    They have the same look about their faces as my Aussies do. Actually, look the same except for mine being all black
    I will try to get a picture of mine tonight and send it. I would like it if mine would protect themselves. Thus far I see them as startling easy and getting scared. The other day I thought there was a dog in there or something. I ran in there yelling and stopped dead looking around and wondering what had scared them so bad. There was a very small bag that had fallen onto the top of their pen. Scared them to death, poor things.

10. karen dee

May 12, 2012
    PS. Your red hens look just like my Isa Browns. Is that the same as production reds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by