Aussie Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by harvey40, Dec 2, 2009.

1. harvey40

harvey40 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Newcastle Australia
    Got my coop finished,what do you all think of it.We have 2 Isa Browns in it..
    Made from treated pine.
    The box in the pic is for our 2 12 week old chicks witch looks into our main coop...

[​IMG]he Box in the pic is for our 2 12 week old chicks witch look into the main coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    LOVE Australia.. we can get away with stuff like this :)

If you were in America you'd have to worry about keeping them warm in winter and raccoons and such... This is how my first 'coop' was, and my birds were healthy :)

Only thing you're going to need to worry about... If you have a feeder that you keep full all the time, you'll be feeding the local pigeons, crows, starling, sparrows and anything else that drops by...

3. harvey40

Sep 7, 2009
    Newcastle Australia
    Do u see the Rooster the kids love him.LOL LOL
    How many chickens do you all think i can have in a coop and run of this size.?????????

Thanks TO All [​IMG]

4. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    in the run.. alot

as for the coop.. are they ever actually closed in? because if they have access to the run all night, I think your only size constraint would be the size of the roost..

5. harvey40

Sep 7, 2009
    Newcastle Australia
    I was thinking that when the chicks go into the main coop i will turn it into a nesting area and put another roost in the main coop that will allow for another 2 Hens??????????

6. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    [​IMG] Dunno...

what are the dimensions of the two areas??

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Love your roo.

And he won't be waking ya up in the mornin' either!

8. kristi40

kristi40 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Thats a great little coop very neat a tidy

9. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    Could you maybe put the roost in the covered area of the coop that looks like it's wired(?) - it looks like there's more room in there - perhaps put a piece of ply or something to block the wind out from the side which faces the tree in the run (not the one in the corner but the other one). I'm assuming that the whole coop is lockable and fox proof? I lost 3 girls to Mr Fox and I live in suburbia with a fenced in backyard. It's always better safe than sorry.

ozzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by