Aussie expat in Thailand

Rolfey

Hatching
Mar 19, 2017
Hi,

We moved to Thailand 12 months ago to start our sea change/early retirement.

We have a small organic hobby farm where we have about Ladyfinger and Goldfinger bananas, Papaya (Holland and Thai), Cha om, Eggplants, various types of Chili, Peas and beans. Around the hobby farm are a number of different types of Mango trees.

I have allocated 120 square meters for a chicken coop at the back of our hobby farm. I have never raised chickens before.

I am looking to provide eggs to our local village and perhaps sell at the local market; medium to large sized eggs are my goal.

I came across BackYardChickens.com doing a Google search for chicken coops :)

I have done extensive "Googling" on the topics of chickens and chicken coops. However, I think getting advice from those in this forum would also be beneficial.

Any advice on the type of chickens to produce medium/large eggs would be helpful. Also, any advice on the amount of chickens I can have, which will provide optimal comfort and egg production would be appreciated.

Looking forward to contributing and learning about chickens in this forum.

Cheers

Shaune

Greetings, Shaune, and
welcome-byc.gif
! It's great to have you with us! The Breeds section will allow you to research the attributes of various varieties. I would assume you would also want a breed that does well in heat and humidity?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
And take a tour of the wonderful articles of the Learning Center - they will prepare you to be a successful poultry farmer:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

Good to meet you Shaune, thank you for joining Backyard chickens. How many eggs a day would suit your desires? Chickens don't lay every single day but, it would give us a number of hens you'd need to provide it.

Hi and thanks for your quick reply.

Your question is a good one. I don't really know at this point other than to say any amount of eggs can be sold easily in the market or our village on a daily basis; more eggs the better. I guess given the square meters available, how many chickens are recommended?

I am also looking to sell chicken poo as fertilizer also.

Cheers

Shaune

G’Day from still down under Shaune
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hello, and welcome to BYC! I am quite glad you joined us, please make yourself at home, I think you are going to like it here! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom