Aussie Lavender Araucana - guess my gender!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fizzybelle, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Fizzybelle

Fizzybelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey all,

I got this little sweetie recently, name is Mable. I had to rehome a pullet who turned out to be a roo, and got this little one in exchange. The hatchery owner said this looked the most feminine, so I'd like to make sure she's a she. I understand it may still be a little early to tell though :)

She/he still has some baby fuzz around the eyes, so an approximate age would be helpful as well, I'm thinking 8 weeks? I'm in Australia so this is not the rumpless variety. The discoloured feathers around the head are from some triple c antibiotics, slight sniffle which is on the mend.

I've included lots of photos, best I can get as Mabel will not sit still. Comb is flat so far, not bright red, but a little bit of colour. Bit of an attitude, but that's not exclusive to roo's as my RIR hybrid hen will attest. My first Araucana, so not totally familiar with their mannerisms yet, ( took a while to stop worrying about my Silkies odd habits at first) but Mabel's such a friendly little bundle of fluff and feathers.

Thanks everyone for your time and input. It's much appreciated. I can take futher pictures if you'd prefer. I'll dig out the better camera. We've just moved, but I've a rough idea where it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    My vibes are suggesting that it is a pullet. Or is it a desire to comfort you.??? [​IMG]
    I don't know all that much about Araucanas, although they are supposed to be rump less. Then I heard that not all are.[​IMG] You are in a faraway land that you say are not rump less by you. The cousin breed known as Ameraucanas is similar but have rumps. Then they are also supposed to have blue legs. Just not sure about anything now.... [​IMG]

ABOVE ALL WISHING YOU BEST. [​IMG]

3. Fizzybelle

Dec 9, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Cavemanrich. Mabel's just got a bit of a dark spot where the comb is, it's slightly red, that's throwing me atm. I have had some red faces/combs early that have turned out female, other breeds though, but just unsure. If Mabel's a boy, I want to try the no-crow collars before rehoming. I'd rather keep this one. My speckled sussex was to large, especially for my banties, but I might be able to get away with a male Mabel. Typical no roo rules, but yappy dogs are a-ok. /rant :p

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I cant keep roos where I live also. City slicker. [​IMG]

5. luckysaysgo

luckysaysgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    Girl..

6. Fizzybelle

Dec 9, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah, it's a downside for those of us who love our chookies living in the city. I'd much rather listen to a rooster crow though, than my next door neighbour attempt to sing [​IMG]

Luckysaysgo, thank you for your input!

7. Fizzybelle

Dec 9, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two more of the little chookie :) Any other opinions are welcome, thank you!

8. nads

nads New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    What did your chookie turn out to be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by