Aussie Sausage Rolls (close anyways)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ChooksinChoppers, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Ingredients

Package of Pepperige(sp?) Farms Flaky (puff) Pastry Sheets
    Roll of "anybrand" mild breakfast sausage meat ( I prefer mild...your choice if you want spicy)
    Cup of plain breadcrumbs
    1 egg ...beaten

Defrost Pastry an hour or 2 before on the counter Don't let it get too warm or it will all stick together.
    Mix meat and breadcrumbs together in a bowl (use the hand Squish method) [​IMG]
    When unfolded the pastry will have 2 lines in it. Turn the pastry so the lines go up and down (vertical) and cut in half horizontally.
    Repeat with 2nd sheet of pastry.
    Divide meat mixture into 4
    Grab first 1/4 and roll between your hands to make a sausage long enough to cross pastry from edge to edge, place in center of pastry.
    Repeat with other 3 half sheets of pastry, roll it up and seal the edge with beaten egg.
    Cut each Roll in thirds (the fold lines will show you where to cut) unless you did it wrong and then you will have to guess! [​IMG]
    Place on a greased cookie sheet with the seam DOWN. Brush all over with beaten egg.
    Bake @ 375 for 20-25 mins until golden brown and pastry is all puffed up.
    Also best with ketchup on the side.

edited to call the pastry "Puff" not flaky like we do in aus.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I make these every year for Australia Day. Here is the recipe I use:
    Sausage Rolls
    Ingredients
    6 slices whole wheat bread
    1/2 cup water hot
    2000 grams sausage meat
    1 each onion finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
    24 ounces puff pastry package ready rolled, thawed
    1 large egg beaten
    1 x seasoning to taste
    Directions
    Remove crusts from bread and soak in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes, then squeeze to remove excess moisture.
    Combine the bread in a bowl with the sausage, onion, herbs and seasonings and place into a piping bag (icing bag).
    Cut the sheets of pastry in half, and pipe the filling along the edges of the pastry, turning the edge of the pastry over the filling, then turn again so that the filling is completely encased in the pastry.
    Repeat process with the remaining pastry and filling.
    Score the pastry at 5cm (2") intervals and brush with beaten egg.
    Bake at 230C (450F) on a greased baking sheet for 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 180C (350F) and bake an additional 10 - 15 min.

They turn out awesome and there are never any left. Hmmmm....I don't think I can wait until January - might have to make these again soon.

3. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Yes, I have tried them like that before..the problem is the wet bread doesnt soak up enough of the grease from the sausage so they can be a bit greasy on the bottom of the pastry. Some finely chopped onion wouldnt hurt though, but a REAL Aussie sausage roll isnt spicy [​IMG]

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I didn't have that problem but I think I skipped the step of soaking in hot water and just threw all the ingredients in the food processor. I'm not a fan of raw onion so I cook the onion thoroughly before add it, too.

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    No picture, didn't happen. : )

I came up with a recipe the other day called "Pig in a Poke". I'm going to open a nation wide franchise, look for one near you!

6. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Ooops! forgot the photo
    [​IMG]

7. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Ohhhh! That looks sooo yummy Chooks! [​IMG]

8. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Those do look yummy! I'll have to try these! [​IMG] I LOVE sausage rolls but have never made them!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  9. Julia-Rose

Julia-Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I will make these TONIGHT!!! thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by