Aussie Shepherds in So. California

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Dec 31, 2010.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a couple stray Aussie Shepherd (mixes probably), in my backyard right now but I can't keep them. If anyone is interested please let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Very handsome guys. I hope you find good homes for them. Thanks for taking them in until you do.

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    How long have you had them?

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Have you tried to see if anyone is missing them? I would call the shelter and ask if anyone says they are missing or been looking for them etc.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Good luck finding homes for them. Have you posted on Craigslist Lost & Found? Have you taken them in to see if they have chips.

I must say though that they don't look much like aussies. They look more spaniel to me. I have an aussie.

Good luck with them. They sure are cute.

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I only picked them up this morning. If someone does own them, they haven't taken very good care of them. One is quite skinny, they are both completely filthy and have some matting, and neither one even knows what a leash is, let alone how to walk on leash. They are both very, very sweet though. They love my kids and like playing, although the tan and white one is still a little skittish. The shelters are all closed until after the holiday so I can't call to ask but I know they have been wandering my neighborhood for over a week as I have seen them before. I know they aren't full Aussies and for all I know may not be at all, but the tricolor one especially has a lot of Aussie characteristics and I believe the other may be a litter-mate or offspring of the tricolor. The other dog they were running around with before was a female with the same coloring as the tan and white one so she may have been mother or litter-mate as well. I haven't seen hide nor hair of her. Hope she didn't get hit by a car while running around on the streets [​IMG] .

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    You still need to do due diligence and attempt to find the owners. Legally you would be responsible if someone else actually missing these dogs and you just "give" them away. Also, keep in mind, anything can happen. Dogs with no food catching skills get skinny quick....if somebody lost these dogs a couple weeks ago, they would be in poor condition. You need to get them scanned, post ads and call your local shelter. When I was in Southern California working for animal control, the law required people to hold any 'stray' for 30 days along with advertising them so owners can find them. Only after the 30 days are you able to keep them or rehome them. The holding period if the dogs are impounded is much shorter as it is so much easier for the owner to find them that way.

We also used to regularly scan dogs and call the owner only to find that the dog had been missing for A LONG TIME. Because people find dogs and then just give them away.....being in poor condition means nothing about the kind of home they had.....

8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by