Aussie Teepee tail

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gootziecat, Jul 5, 2011.

1. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    How young can the proper spread of the "teepee" tail be noted? Is it too much to expect from 2-3 mo. old birds and they will grow wider with age? Or, as I suspect, it should be present by then, in balance with the rest of the bird.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:Teepee tail? Can you elaborate on that a little bit? Or better yet, maybe pictures?

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    The tail, most noticable on the pullets and hens, when observed from the back, should look like a triangle or have a triangular effect. Many do not and look to have a clam shell effect. I refer to the triangle look as a teepee because that's what it should look like. My question is how young/old should this be apparent in a pullet, or a roo for that matter?

4. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    ohk, I gotcha....thanks for clarification.

5. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Sandie
    Some of it has to do with the breed and how they grow.
    I won't be cutting any of my breeders that I'm growing out till next spring.
    That includes the roosters too. As someone just reminded me today don't count your money till you have it in hand.
    Some breeds like the JG's are slow growers and you can have late bloomers and those are normally the ones that look bad and turn out the best when they are a few weeks to months older.
    Granted you want to keep your eye one the ones that have the wides spread as of now even if not a teepee tail yet.
    The ones where there is really no spread and the tail is almost or is closed I would have them on the cull list. This is were bands come in hamdy. I band ( #) the ones keeping if i have a band that fits. If not green zip tie for culls and blue for keepers is how i am doing my older chicks. If you take my old JG blue pullet and look at her compared to the splash full sister the blue is closer to sop and the splash is lacking. You have seen them in person so you know what I mean. Also don't forget they might be close but they are different breeds and different grow rates. I know some of those chicks had wider tail spread even when just feathering in on the tail. So look closer and you will see the better ones and I would give them till they are laying (6) till you cull pullets,but that's just me someone that shows Aussies hopefully will step up and help you. Good Luck!

Forgot add Aussies into topic title you might get more hits that way.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  6. SDChIcK

SDChIcK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    My hens started getting that tail around 1-2 months.

7. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    if your question is when do they start laying probably a little bit sooner than some breeds, we have had some about 6 and 1/2 months..the tail, it just depends on the type aussie you have, production or show or combo of the 2. its a matter of taste weather you like show type or production type but show types sometimes develope more slowly with some exceptions.

the aussies I have have a smaller fan or as you call teepee tails and they emerge later on than production aussies , they seem to have a wider spread to the fan when viewd from the side , thast doest in any way affect the time cycle of when they start laying eggs, at least for me..some with bigger fan will sTART A BIT EARLIER THAN the shorter fan, you can usually tell more by watching the combs develope and turn red.

here is example of aussie pullet, she will develope more of a small wide fan later on. she is 4 mos in this pic. she will develope a bit more slowly than the production type which leans more toward leghorn ect additions to early US breeding programs.

[​IMG]

this is a show type rooster, it is just a trait to have a tail like that.

[​IMG]

There are pleanty of pics in here of production type with teepee tail , they also start laying between 7 and 8 months sometimes a bit sooner..that is just normal if that was the question I hope in a way this helps.

this is a modern day australorp show pullet from australia, you can see she doesnt have much of a teepee going on, but that will not affect her egg laying capabilities.

http://australorps.com/album/18/2520712.jpg

8. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    She has breeder birds from Mr. Urch
    What she wanted to know is when do they get the spread in the tails. She feels hers are closed (more clam) then open (more teepee/ fan)
    She was wanting input on other Aussie breeders as to when they get the spread. She does not want to cull them only to find out the get re spread days to months later and not have the breeder / show quality she is wanting to raise for breeding.
    So any and all help from Aussie breeders would be great as this is her first year as far as starting to grow for breeding and someday hopefully show. Hope this clears things up for her.

9. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Did you find out what you needed to know yet?

10. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Did you find out what you needed to know yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by