Austalorp molting/soft shell-question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newhenstein castle, Jul 22, 2010.

1. newhenstein castle

newhenstein castle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    Hi,

I actually was specifically looking for info on how Australorps molt. I am experiencing an issue with mine. She is a year and a half old and had been laying well until about 6 weeks ago. She started laying softshelled eggs and I would find them under the roost. I immediately started oyster shell and extra calcium. Someone recommended Tums and I am trying that as well. But so far no luck. Still weird eggs.

BUT I also had discovered frayed tail feathers. This could be one of the others taking a bite out of them (she is my alpha hen but you never know) or she might just be molting like someone suggested. Apparently that can go on for up to 3 months? If that was the case how can I tell if she is indeed molting? Are Australorps different? This someone told me that her's had only lost her tail feathers and ran around without a tail for a while. Does that sound about right? I have no molting experience. I've only been in the chicken business since last year. Can you help by giving me a piece of advice or tell me about your experience with this molting/soft shell issue??

1) Can they molt for over 6 weeks without loosing feathers?
    2) Can frayed tail feathers be an indication for molting?
    3) If the hen seems fine otherwise (besides the soft eggs) should I be worried?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] the white eggs are hers and they were layed on better days about two weeks ago. Very thin, rough/pimply shells with a brown spot on the end. Now we're not getting anything from her, just 'eggpoops' as I call them.

Thanks, Conny

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. newhenstein castle

newhenstein castle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    Does anyone have something on this issue?? Thanks so much.

C

Anyone?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. Birdvet

Birdvet New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    Hillsborough
    These symptoms are consistent with calcium deficiency, vitamin D3 deficiency, or a primary reprodcutive problem such as egg yolk peritonitis, endometritis, ovarian cyst, or even ovarian cancer. My opinion is that it is likely a nutritional problem. I do not recommend using tums. This is not an appropriate method for supplementing calcium.

1) Can they molt for over 6 weeks without loosing feathers? Yes
    2) Can frayed tail feathers be an indication for molting? No
    3) If the hen seems fine otherwise (besides the soft eggs) should I be worried? Yes

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by