Austra White? Age?

jlw1024

Hatching
Jul 22, 2015
I've acquired a stray, unclaimed bird. My best guess is that she is an austra white, but I'm not sure. Any guesses on breed and age?

Austra White is a good guess! However, her comb is too small. I would guess she is over 20 weeks and is some kind of cross, perhaps with some OEG in there. Her comb is just too bright to be younger than 15 weeks.

I'm glad you are giving her a helping hand!
smile.png

With those yellow legs it could be a White Rock or a Rhode Island White. It could be a 15 week old pullet, just starting to pink up, or it could be a young cockerel under 12 weeks.

Last edited:
I hope she's not a cockrel! I'm only allowed hens in the city. I suppose only time will tell. Thank you!

Here's another pic. Any other opinions? She's friendly but feisty and gets restless when first placed in run or coop. She's accepting her new friend slowly, she still intimidates her but they roosted side by side last night.

The black spots in her feathering is the sign of a cross-breed (I mean mutt) or hybrid (I mean two breeds purposefully bred together).

My cross-breeds usually only have one or two black spots, but this one takes it to the extreme

She's definately a hen! She stated laying on Tuesday. Does the egg color help determine what kind of cross she is? Her eggs are small.

Back
Top Bottom