Austra White egg color? I thought white....but...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wynette, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I have two pullets from eFowl.com - they state they are white layers. One of my two has been laying for a few weeks, oblong, small white eggs. But....this week, I've been noticing some very small, pullet looking eggs that are lt. TAN. And round rather than oblong.

I have these gals in with my breeder Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks (lt. tan eggs), put them there on purpose so I would know their eggs from the breeders, but...is it possible that one of my Austra Whites has begun to lay and that it's a tan rather than white egg?

I've Googled and searched on BYC and found a few old closed auctions that DO indicate "off white" egg color...but some folks say white...so...am hoping someone who currently has some can shed some light. Thanks!

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I hope that's not the case.... I honestly don't know the answer but maybe someone more knowledgeable will stumble across your thread.

3. Echoboy49

Echoboy49 New Egg

Dec 6, 2015
    I have 5 Austra White pullets that just started laying. They are med to large size and are slightly "off white". It's been a while since your post so you've probably already got your answer. Thought I'd answer anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by