Austra white hen /White Rock roo

Everstuff

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 15, 2012
Gooding, Idaho
My Coop
My Coop
What kind of chick am I going to end up with? We've not had any sort of success at letting the broodies hatch out their eggs. A few weeks ago when Speckles decided to go broody, I though what the heck, not like anything is going to come of it. Well, lo and behold, she hatched out a chick. It's black and yellow with a small bit of yellow in it's head. Momma is Speckles, an Austra white, and daddy is The Captain, my white rock roo. We lost the little yellow chick. It's been a week and a handful of days now, and the chick is starting to get in some feathers. Am I looking at a sort of barred chick?
The Captain

Speckles

Day old chick

Tonight

Tonight

What kind of chick am I going to end up with? We've not had any sort of success at letting the broodies hatch out their eggs. A few weeks ago when Speckles decided to go broody, I though what the heck, not like anything is going to come of it. Well, lo and behold, she hatched out a chick. It's black and yellow with a small bit of yellow in it's head. Momma is Speckles, an Austra white, and daddy is The Captain, my white rock roo. We lost the little yellow chick. It's been a week and a handful of days now, and the chick is starting to get in some feathers. Am I looking at a sort of barred chick? The Captain Speckles Day old chick Tonight Tonight
Yep, looks like it's gonna be barred. The genetics behind most White Rocks is barring, then you add in the factor of the White Leghorn (barring in its background) in the Austra Whites history there you have your barring.

I took a chance and let my white leghorn hen sit some eggs this spring. Daddy is a black australorp.
I didn't even know there was a real name for the chicks
1f602.png
. I had 5 survive to go outside and it looks like 2 boys 3 girls. The Roos are almost solid white where the pullets are an amazing combination of black patches on a white field. Now.... my question is this... when will I start getting those pretty eggs??? I know it will be a few more months but these birds are growing so fast. They are almost as big as my POL (point of lay) girls of different types.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Need to figure out a good app that lets me. Any ideas there either??

Last edited:
Usually start laying somewhere between 4 1/2 months to 5 months. A lot depends on the hen lines also.

Ok. Thanks
1f60a.png

They are still young. I was just wondering. They are my surprise hatch from a broody leghorn. She sat 12 eggs up to the day before hatch. I went out and checked that morning and all 12 well good. I came home from church to find 6 gone and another crushed but the chick was still alive. I'm guessing snake.
I was horrified. I scooped them up, fired up my incubator and put them in along with the chick/egg that was crushed. Wrapped in a damp cloth. 2 days later Viper was slowly moving around but still alive and 4 of the others had hatched and moved to a brooder. After another 3 days (tiny food and water containers in incubator
1f605.png
) I tossed the last dead egg and Viper was strong enough to move in with her siblings.
She is easily the strongest pullet out of the 3 today. Right about 2&1/2 months old now.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks
1f60a.png

They are still young. I was just wondering. They are my surprise hatch from a broody leghorn. She sat 12 eggs up to the day before hatch. I went out and checked that morning and all 12 well good. I came home from church to find 6 gone and another crushed but the chick was still alive. I'm guessing snake.
I was horrified. I scooped them up, fired up my incubator and put them in along with the chick/egg that was crushed. Wrapped in a damp cloth. 2 days later Viper was slowly moving around but still alive and 4 of the others had hatched and moved to a brooder. After another 3 days (tiny food and water containers in incubator
1f605.png
) I tossed the last dead egg and Viper was strong enough to move in with her siblings.
She is easily the strongest pullet out of the 3 today. Right about 2&1/2 months old now.

Nice save. Keep them updated here.

Back
Top Bottom