Austra White or a Blue Wyandotte?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by twinnersmom, May 6, 2009.

1. twinnersmom

twinnersmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Utah
    I am new to raising chickens and I picked three breeds I wanted and was inly able to get 2. I have ameraucaunas and buff orpingtons, but they coiuld not get me Brahmas. So I can either get austra whites or blue wyandottes, has anyone had any of these and can tell me about them? They will be for egg laying. Thanks!

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I have wyandottes and love them. the combs are nice and short for winter weather so I don't get frostbite but you might not be in an area where that's a problem. they are also gentle birds.
    sorry I don't know about the austa whites.

3. JRchickchick

JRchickchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    "Austra Whites are a cross between a Black Australorp and a White leghorn. They are a breed that was developed by Dunlap hatchery in the early 1900's. They are an excellent layer of off white eggs. They are a heavier bird and a lot less flighty then a straight leghorn."

I would think that would make them a highly prolific layer of eggs, as well as fairly tame...I'm giving them a shot this spring, and will post my opinion when the time comes!

http://www.dunlaphatchery.net/Standards.aspx

4. JRchickchick

JRchickchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    I just checked with Coastal Farm here in Eugene, to find out when their chicks are coming, and where they order through. They order from Dunlap, which is nice to know...I can plan my chicks that way, or drive to Lazy 54 just north of Salem and get them fresh from the farm! Coastal will be having some Austra Whites come in, and I'm excited!

BTW Lazy 54 are great! Last year my Dad's spring chicks were nabbed by a nasty raccoon, and he needed to 1) install an electric fence and 2) start his chicks all over again. They were nice to work with, and he received happy chicks that have been happy layers. I just need to make up my shopping list of chicks! The only problem my Dad has had in getting chicks at the local farm store, is that EVERYBODY wants them the first day, and if you come too late, then you don't get the varieties you really want.

5. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Wouldn't a black chicken over a white get blues, self blues, and splashes?
    is this a refined breed or a F1 hybrid cross?

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:No, Black and White are two completely different genes. Self blue is also a completely different gene from Blue, Black, Splash, and White.

7. ropeman

ropeman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    and they both carry the white gen.so the chicks will be mostly white

8. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:No, Black and White are two completely different genes. Self blue is also a completely different gene from Blue, Black, Splash, and White.

Many years ago I hatched some eggs from my austra whites for a school science project
    I got white with black spots, white, black, and yes, some blue.
    also a couple of barred but I chalk that up to not removing the white rock rooster soon enough

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    If the white leghorn only carried one dominant white gene, then the cross can produce non-white chicks and adults. White leghorns carry barring and the blue gene. The barring gene helps clear any black from the legs due to the extended black gene and also makes for a whiter bird.

Most likely the white rock was the father of the non-white chicks. White rocks are recessive white- this would account for a white male producing non-white chicks. White rocks can also carry the barring gene.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by