Australia is in da Pen !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by showmeyoureggs, Oct 11, 2012.

1. showmeyoureggs

showmeyoureggs New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

Well my wife, 3 children and I recently bought some property and were always thinking about the wonderful convenience of fresh eggs. After constructing our Chicken pen on the ground it wasn't too long before it was wripped up concrete border placed and re-erection of the shed ( **** Foxes in our area are bad ) so protection was the idea or dead chooks would not be too nice for the kids let alone us adults.

A family member has a friend who bred about 20 chicks and decided to pass on 4 free to us. All excited we received our chooks 2 brown and 2 black. After many weeks we started to free range them when we could. We were always told happy chickens are good layers ( obviously if the breed was also right ).

After some weeks we noticed the black ones stamping some sort of authority and when the broken crys started early of a morning it was like hell aint no eggs coming from those 2 !!!!

So my wife and I are no deciding what to do, should we rid the pen of the 2 roosters and get some more layers. The roosters are so nasty sometimes to one of the chooks who started laying 2 weeks ago. The other chook is not laying yet and seems to be isolated from the group at times.

Being new we are keen to understand the behaviour of the roosters to assist in our decision.

Thanks for your time BYC Members !

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, showmeyoureggs, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Enjoy your four chickens and good luck to you!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Two roosters and two hens is not ideal. You should either get rid of one, or both, roosters or get more hens. If you want fertile eggs that the hens could hatch for you some time in future you should pick the best roo and get rid of the other one, or just get a few more hens. If you're not hassled about chicks, get rid of both, or, if you like having a rooster with your flock, get more hens!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and[​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

7. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]Hello [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

9. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by