Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Living on my own I had to build my own chicken coop. They say don't build anything you can't stand up in, well I can't in mine, but have a cat flap on the side of the nesting box so I don't have to go inside to get the eggs :) Works for me :)
    Now am extending it for the little ones :) Taking me a while as I am doing it on my own while boys are at school and have had to finish paper for uni.
    Will hopefully get some pics of it today plus the chickies, I have been slack I know :(

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    That's all I have found so far sam :D :p

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have learnt heaps since moving ot the country. Though I do have a hubby he is away at work a lot. I am not too good with fencing pliers still. I have many scares on my hands to prove that but I keep trying .

4. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

I am lucky I suppose, country born and bred :)
    So have learnt heaps of things over many years :)
    It's funny, even when I was married I used to do everything on my own.
    Even down to fixing the mower or whipper snipper :)

5. megacakes

megacakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013

Weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the rooster and calculate the difference.

1 person likes this.
  6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I decided to candle my pekin eggs before. I am on day 12.

Lot number 1 12 purchased 6 arrived smashed and 6 went into the bator. only 2 showing development.

Lot number 2 12 arrived in good condition but with the weird wet paper and alfoil around them.. 0 showing development... Bummer...

I will leave them in a few days more before tossing them just incase my old eyes are playing tricks on me (highly doubtful though)

7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Bummer, :confused:

8. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Satay that sux! You should get a refund!

Guys I need help with getting the correct lamps for when the chicks hatch.. Do I get the ones from the pet stores for reptiles? Someone said they just use light bulbs you can buy for general shops.. I'm a little comfused.. The brooder is big and roomy so they have room to move away from the heat if needed.. Was also wondering I know the light needs to be on 24/7 at first but at how many weeks will it need to be on only in the evenings, nights and early morning?..

Thanx so much peeps hehe

9. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    PS: what are the thoughts on the electric heating square thing that goes in the brooder? Has anyone used one?..

Second thoughts no to this I prefer a lamp.. Just saw how dirty they can get and I think an actual lamp will be a safer more hygienic option

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Sydney , I prefer the red lamp because I can see from a distance that the lamp is on. In saying that , avoid the cheap ones. They may be cheaper but the last one I bought lasted 2 weeks, then it blew. Always have a spare cause chances are it will blow when the shops are closed. Get one of those digital thermometer s
    With the probe and keep an eye on the temp that way. They would normally need heat for the first 6 weeks, but that depends on the weather. I have my lamp on an adjustable chain so I can lower it when they need the heat and bring it up higher as the weeks go on. It's important that they have enough space to get away from the heat if they are too hot, as they don't regulate their own heat very well. Remember if they are huddling and peeping a lot they are too cold. If they are laying away from the heat , then it's time to raise it up a couple of notches. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by