Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Pepper looks very determined! How long until they can usually get a treat out? Yes! Hosing the run downs abit hard with restrictions, but I think I may be able to sit a big ice brick on top of their shelter which may help keep the tin cooler.

Ice on top of their coops! Now that's a good idea. :thumbsup

Once the ice has started "softening" they get the fruit and veges out fairly quickly as they are close to the surface. They can usually get some within about 5 or 10 minutes. They have to wait longer for the bits towards the middle of the ice of course! :D

How's everyone copping with the heat this week? Thought I had everything set and cool for girls, letting them roam free and cool wet soil to bathe in in shade. I never even thought about moving the nest box, and ended up loosing a hen in there.
it's 38c here at 10.20am we are meant to get to 43c today last week we were close to 40c everyday. The girls are doing ok so far. I turned the sprinklers on their house once it hits 40c.

Sorry to hear that Muscovy Wanda :( :hugs

My EE Edwina would choose the nest box in full sun in the middle of the day to lay her eggs in. She's a big black girl and was panting like mad so I've been discouraging that by putting fake eggs in the cooler nesting boxes. It seems to be working so far...:fl

Mine have been enjoying fruit or vegetables in iceblocks. I'd usually hose the run area down or put the sprinkler on them but water restrictions.:confused:

This is Pepper seeing if she can winkle out a cherry tomato from the ice yet
View attachment 1979409

vbnm
Sorry to hear that Muscovy Wanda :( :hugs

My EE Edwina would choose the nest box in full sun in the middle of the day to lay her eggs in. She's a big black girl and was panting like mad so I've been discouraging that by putting fake eggs in the cooler nesting boxes. It seems to be working so far...:fl

Mine have been enjoying fruit or vegetables in iceblocks. I'd usually hose the run area down or put the sprinkler on them but water restrictions.:confused:

This is Pepper seeing if she can winkle out a cherry tomato from the ice yet
View attachment 1979409
I love the idea . Tried it once for my girls and they wouldn't have a bar of it. It melts out here pretty quick as well.

Back
Top Bottom