Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi all. Nice to see you all here! I'm from Tasmania,and have mainly Silkies and Game birds,plus some Beautiful Runner Ducks(thanks Ducky!!). Am a proud Mum tonight,my first Malay game that I bred hatched today,here's a photo(don't all proud Mums show photos?)
54191_dscf0638.jpg

's the first three,there are more to come.
Welcome all! Look forward to getting to know you all!
frow.gif
aww, i had a chick that looks like the one in the middle. her mum is currently in a towel laying on my bed right now, she’s sick:(

I think the forum is going nuts.
I'm trying to keep out of it, but all this talk of feed conspiracies is getting on my nerves.
Please don't say your chickens haven't been laying... 😭
Agree! I dont know enough to even way in on the topics.
What if I said I have had less eggs :pBUT I can tell you all the reason why, and none have anything to do with feed.

Agree! I dont know enough to even way in on the topics.
What if I said I have had less eggs :pBUT I can tell you all the reason why, and none have anything to do with feed.
I don't really know much about it either, except feeding goat feed in the long term is not going to be a good idea!

I am actually getting the most eggs I have for a long time, with (finally!) most of the hens not being broody any more.
Just one Sussex sitting one two eggs, and two hens still raising chicks.
My dad has offered to extend one of my two main hen houses, which I am very grateful for, as they are definitely a bit too crowded.

I don't really know much about it either, except feeding goat feed in the long term is not going to be a good idea!
One good thing is I am picking up on bits and pieces. Nutrition (when it comes to animals) has always been interesting to me. But my chickens have always been as simple as buying a bag of feed. I've actually been wanting to experiment with mine's diet, but certainly not like some people have been suggesting here! Mixing feed sounds like a nightmare!

I am actually getting the most eggs I have for a long time, with (finally!) most of the hens not being broody any more.
Just one Sussex sitting one two eggs, and two hens still raising chicks.
Reasons for my drop in eggs:
Lost all but four of my hens to a fox in Sept, that greatly affects eggs numbers!
Cloud was broody in November, and I think Samuel was still PoL at that point. Spices went broody and is still raising the babies. Elly is starting to brood, hasn't stopped laying yet but will get there I am sure. Samuel's still a bit unreliable with her eggs, but they're so lovely and big! There been a molt in amongst that too.
I actually got ask today whether the eggs had slowed due to the heat, because there was only one tray in the fridge. That's simply due to lack of chickens unfortunately.
My dad has offered to extend one of my two main hen houses, which I am very grateful for, as they are definitely a bit too crowded.
That sounds great! What do your houses look like? I like seeing other's for inspiration :)

One good thing is I am picking up on bits and pieces. Nutrition (when it comes to animals) has always been interesting to me. But my chickens have always been as simple as buying a bag of feed. I've actually been wanting to experiment with mine's diet, but certainly not like some people have been suggesting here! Mixing feed sounds like a nightmare!
I agree!
I do try to encourage as much foraging as possible, but they can always come back to their feed dish.
Reasons for my drop in eggs:
Lost all but four of my hens to a fox in Sept, that greatly affects eggs numbers!
Cloud was broody in November, and I think Samuel was still PoL at that point. Spices went broody and is still raising the babies. Elly is starting to brood, hasn't stopped laying yet but will get there I am sure. Samuel's still a bit unreliable with her eggs, but they're so lovely and big! There been a molt in amongst that too.
I actually got ask today whether the eggs had slowed due to the heat, because there was only one tray in the fridge. That's simply due to lack of chickens unfortunately.
I love all the names!
And molting season is starting here, as well.
Sorry about the fox :(
That sounds great! What do your houses look like? I like seeing other's for inspiration :)
I'll get some pics when I have a camera (my bothers got it in the moment, and the phones one is hopeless) as I'm not too good at describing things.
One is fixed in place, the other has wheels and can be moved around.

Back
Top Bottom