Australian meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by The Gotfeather, Aug 6, 2009.

1. The Gotfeather

The Gotfeather In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    Southern Tasmania
    Hi folks I am very new here, but have recently digested the diary of someones (sorry forgotten the name) first few batches of the coloured rangers. They took them in batches of 100 and man they grew fast! What an inspiration, thank you so much.

I am looking for an Aussie option, however I want one that is sustainable. I don't want to go to the hatchery, I want to BE the hatchery.

I have seen a post from Far North Qld, that was describing a cross between Indian and Malay game birds and light Sussex and coming up with some interesting results. Can anyone chime in here, is there an Australian Cornish X equivalent and where are their supporters?

Calling all Australian meat birders, what is your breed?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:well my friend I am doing the same, but in nicaragua..do you want colored broilers or just white broilers? for me I have to have colored broilers, WHY? they comand up to 3 times the price LIVE(no need to butcher them)....I think you have Normal colored Cornish right? and some american dual P chicken breeds? well if you can get your hands in a gold base Cornish and a white rock hens, or Rhode Island whites or Delawares...if I were you I would start with 1 gold base Cornish Roo and 2 hens..WHY? because you are in the experimentin prosses and don´t want to waste time and money if that program don´t work....so for now you´ll be having a Home grown SEX LINK broiler program, why sex link? well because you´ll save time and money if you kept the male chicks only, and your average weight will be higher than a mix gender broiler folck...ok you have to hatch about 20 eggs, after hatching cull the girls, and monitor very very carefully the little roos, use scientific methos,(monitoring their weight gain with a digital gram scale, keeping records) that way you will know for shure what you are doing....good luck MATE...

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    check this link out..our friend is raising just cockerels-- why? because the hen don´t make the weight at early age and having to feed smaller birds is costly..
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=225214

check this broiler line, its the line used in nicaragua(HOT climate)

JV:Feedsaver
    PARENTS:at 24weeks Male:3400g Female:2120g at 64weeks:Males:4800g Female:2850g

Broilers:at 56Days
    Female: 3052g
    Male: 3620g
    average: 3336g
    FCR:2.00

you see how the females bring the average weight down?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. The Gotfeather

The Gotfeather In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    Southern Tasmania
    Sorry nicalandia have been distracted.

Yes the difference with the male to female weight was considerable.

I keep returning to this https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2521038
    thread
    and I have yet to fully understand why Saladin insists that you need 3 breeds.
    Saladin wrote

Most commercial stock is either 3 or 4 different lines not 2.

When 2 different breeds are put together what you generally get is something in between the 2; it doesn't grow as fast or as large as one and it doesn't grow as slow or as small as the other.

However, in the combination of 3 or even 4 things come out quite differently. Now, it also is important that the 3 or 4 different lines (or breeds) be as inbred as they possibly can without losing vigor or health themselves.

This is vaguely familiar from highschool, what are your thoughts? Anyone else?

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:No prob friend...!! yes they USE 4 lines, the parent line and the grand parent line, BUT the grand parent line is homozigous already to produce concistant parents..check this link http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/ they have many DAME lines but only 2 SIRE Lines, those are the parent lines of all the broiler sold today.....so in turn you will be doing the same, except you wont be keeping the parents of your breeders...[​IMG] WHY OH WHY they use that many lines? 2 reasons: the first and most important is to lower their overal production costs...you see the SIRE line of broilers produce the MOST meat yield and the fastest growth of all the broiler lines, including the end product we buy, but why dont´they use them instead? 1st because the hens start laying at a later time and lay fewer eggs, 2nd the chicks grow so fast the precentage of chicks with legg problem will encrease....

yes they use 4 lines, but so will you....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: