australian shepard dogs?

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
hello.
My brother in law has a 2 year old australian shepard they have to give away.
sad.png
they are planning on moving to alabama so he can attend military training there. And cant bring their dog.
sad.png

we already have 2 shetland sheepdogs. a 13 year old and 1 year. they get along great with eachother, the 7 year old house rabbit that roams as he pleases , and our chickens. their dog is a female dog. our dogs are male and female.

looking for advice please.
he (bil) called us yesterday and asked for us to take the dog. we need to do a trial run first before i say yes.
the snow is about 4 feet high in the yard. We only have paths for our own 2 dogs to do their (stuff) etc.
how could we really see how they will get along. espeically in my dogs own terrioirty.
how would you work this out? i am trying to get a friend at work interested in the dog. perhaps she may want the dog. (i hope).
fl.gif

thanks in advance for advice!
smile.png

We live in Alabama and have Aussies. Is the dog spayed? If so, and they could at least get to bama, I will talk to my hubby. Just a thaught. What does she look like?

would a friend allow you to let the dogs all meet at their house maybe in the basement so they will all be on neutral territory? How about a dog training facility? Heck even a petstore that is really quiet/slow at the time might work

MomtoSyd&Emma :

would a friend allow you to let the dogs all meet at their house maybe in the basement so they will all be on neutral territory? How about a dog training facility? Heck even a petstore that is really quiet/slow at the time might work

x 2​

From my experience, it is sometimes difficult to introduce a new adult female into a pack where there is another female regardless of whether they are altered or not. It just depends on how dominant your own female is, and if the other dog is also an alpha. It works if they are both submissive dogs or if at least one is submissive, but if they are both alpha females.....whoa. It can be a difficult situation. It's harder to make two alpha females get along than it is to teach to males to get along.
I think letting them get used to each other first is a good idea. I brought home a young peke one time to live with my female shih tzu. This was years ago, but I remember it vividly. They hated each other because both were alpha females, and that didn't change in all the years I owned them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It just depends on the personalities of the dogs themselves.

Back
Top Bottom