Australian Shepherds aka Aussies- Info is appreciated(:

luvinmychickens

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Ohio
So I am getting an Aussie next week! I thought maybe some of you could fill me in a little about them.
smile.png
I will be getting books out from the library about them, for my family to review... but I do know that some of you have Aussies, so I thought I would post this here.
smile.png

Thanks in advance!

Luv

I don't own any, but am very familiar. High energy, but I see you have a weim, so that shouldn't be a problem. Actually I know several people who own both of these breeds, so there must be enough in common that if you like one you will probably like the other. Smart, biddable, can be a bit headstrong but often its just lack of direction on the owners part. Can become reactive/fear agressive if not well socialized. Herding is prey drive, so chasing animals will happen if not trained not to do it. A very high drive dog may not be able to resist the urge even with training, so watch them birds!

Quote:
^I agree with this 100%(especially the high energy part).
My sisters's aussie was very active and he was very playful.

I have 2 Aussies. My older one has been very calm and laid back since we brought her home at 6 months. Not hyper/high energy at all. This past summer we got another, as a puppy (6 weeks old, really too young, but oh well). We have learned the huge difference. Riley is almost the exact opposite of Ginger. He has tons of energy, and likes to bark and sing. Both are rather timid around strangers. Ginger could care less about the chickens, but Riley says ''They move! I've gotta make them go where I want them to!'' Ginger never chewed a thing (not even the toys we got her), Riley will chew anything he can find. He knows he's not supposed to with some things, so he'll watch you out of the corner of his eye as he takes it, and it's funny how he acts just like a kid sometimes.

But they are smart. Good luck with your new puppy, and be sure to post pictures when you get him!
smile.png

Quote:
I will!
smile.png
And this will be the first puppy I have had in years.
roll.png
I have to help train a LOT.
big_smile.png
I am reading books on house breaking and teaching them the simple "Sit, stay, come".
smile.png
We are looking into crates/cages right now. We are used to hyper and lazy dogs.
tongue.png
My dog Bailey has moments where she is hyper and others where she is super lazy.
tongue.png
Jasper (The puppy I'm getting) will be 8 weeks when I get him.
ya.gif
love.gif
I am supposed to have an updated picture of Jasper tonight, so if I can, I'll show ya'll the cute little thing.
big_smile.png

Thanks a Bunch!!

Crazy Cleveland Chick

Back
Top Bottom