Australian Shepherds aka Aussies- Info is appreciated(:

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by luvinmychickens, Dec 10, 2011.

1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    So I am getting an Aussie next week! I thought maybe some of you could fill me in a little about them. [​IMG] I will be getting books out from the library about them, for my family to review... but I do know that some of you have Aussies, so I thought I would post this here. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Luv

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I don't own any, but am very familiar. High energy, but I see you have a weim, so that shouldn't be a problem. Actually I know several people who own both of these breeds, so there must be enough in common that if you like one you will probably like the other. Smart, biddable, can be a bit headstrong but often its just lack of direction on the owners part. Can become reactive/fear agressive if not well socialized. Herding is prey drive, so chasing animals will happen if not trained not to do it. A very high drive dog may not be able to resist the urge even with training, so watch them birds!

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

they are smarter than most people I know.. so you really have to make sure the aussie doesn't train you instead of the other way around

4. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
  5. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Okay thanks!! [​IMG]

6. goofy98

goofy98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Prineville
    I have one she is vary sweet but hiper

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:^I agree with this 100%(especially the high energy part).
    My sisters's aussie was very active and he was very playful.

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I have 2 Aussies. My older one has been very calm and laid back since we brought her home at 6 months. Not hyper/high energy at all. This past summer we got another, as a puppy (6 weeks old, really too young, but oh well). We have learned the huge difference. Riley is almost the exact opposite of Ginger. He has tons of energy, and likes to bark and sing. Both are rather timid around strangers. Ginger could care less about the chickens, but Riley says ''They move! I've gotta make them go where I want them to!'' Ginger never chewed a thing (not even the toys we got her), Riley will chew anything he can find. He knows he's not supposed to with some things, so he'll watch you out of the corner of his eye as he takes it, and it's funny how he acts just like a kid sometimes.

But they are smart. Good luck with your new puppy, and be sure to post pictures when you get him! [​IMG]

9. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I will! [​IMG] And this will be the first puppy I have had in years. [​IMG] I have to help train a LOT. [​IMG] I am reading books on house breaking and teaching them the simple "Sit, stay, come". [​IMG] We are looking into crates/cages right now. We are used to hyper and lazy dogs. [​IMG] My dog Bailey has moments where she is hyper and others where she is super lazy. [​IMG] Jasper (The puppy I'm getting) will be 8 weeks when I get him. [​IMG] [​IMG] I am supposed to have an updated picture of Jasper tonight, so if I can, I'll show ya'll the cute little thing. [​IMG]

Thanks a Bunch!!

Crazy Cleveland Chick

10. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I just saw you are in the cleveland area. Let me know if you need trainer or vet referrals, I know people up there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by