Australian spot genetic question??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Boggy Bottom Bantams, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Got a quick question on the different head color ratios you get from aussie spot ducks
    I have seen it some where but for the life of me cant seem to find it any more.

what are the ratios of colors when breeding the various head colors of aussie spots together?
    Would prefer all

green head to blue head
    blue to silver
    green to silver etc

I have a very nice trio of green heads and 2 female blue heads right now so really curious especially to that combo.

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Taken from Breed Bulletin #(91)19 written by Dave Holderread & illustrated by Millie M. Holderread:

COLOR BREEDING
    When two Greenheads are mated together, they will produce only Greenhead offspring.

When two Silverheads are mated together, all of their offspring will be silverheads.

However, when two Blueheads are mated together, they produce all three varieties in the ratio of 1 Greenhead: 2 Blueheads: 1 Silverhead.

When a Greenhead is mated to a Silverhead, all of the offspring will be Blueheads

When a Greenhead is mated to a Bluehead, they will produce equal numbers of both colors.

Likewise, when a Bluehead is mated to a Silverhead, half of their offspring will be colored like each of the parents. (Keep in mind that all of the above ratios are true when talking about large numbers of offspring but can vary widely from the norm in small hatches.) None of these colors are sex-linked

I would strongly urge anyone who is either just interested in the breed or is interested in breeding the Australian Spotteds to purchase this Breed Bulletin #9119 from the Holderreads. There is a wealth of info in it and it is very reasonably priced @ $2.00. They also have several other breed bulletins and the more that are purchased, the less the individual bulletins cost. Well worth the price!
    http://holderreadfarm.com/literature_page/literature.htm

eta: I have a pair of Blueheads that I purchased from Holderreads as juveniles (6 mo). I've had them for 15 months now and am hoping they will produce a bevy of ducklings this year. I've got some work to do on their yard to make it baby proof but as soon as spring hits and all the snow is gone I'll be out there baby proofing!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Thanks for that, I knew it was similar to how the blue gene works in chickens, but just couldnt remember the ratios.

Now I guess I need to find some silver heads

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by