Australian spotted drake beating up Rouen duck? help please

bckyrdchknluvr

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
I have two nearly mature Rouen ducks and a green head Austalian spotted drake that have been living together fine for about 3 months. But then, one of my Rouens fell and hurt her leg and we had to bring her in the house to heal as the other two ducks were stepping on her when she couldn't walk. We reintroduced them about 5 days ago. They all seemed to be doing quite well together although the drake was picking at her a bit. Two days ago he started to attack? her. She can be laying down 8 feet away from him minding her own business and he will run at her and grab her really hard by the neck or wing. He does not do this with the other duck, he seems to love and care for her really well. He took a few runs at one of my chickens as well, but stopped that really quick when my chicken(Ameraucana) pecked his head really hard, lol. (the chickens and ducks are housed together for the winter) But I don't know what to do about his behavior toward my Rouen(I have a real soft spot for her) Is he beating her up, or trying to mate? He just finished feathering out and is in nuptial plumage. Should I permanently separate her from the drake and her sister?(her sister still treats her well) Or is this normal and I need to just let it happen?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds to me like his hormones are running rampant, and this is normal behavior, As long as he isn't hurting her by pulling her feathers out, then I'd just watch and see if it resolves on it's own. My drake is a little over 5 months old and he will grab ahold of the girls wing and hold on as she is trying to get away. It's just their way. Be nice if they would evolve into perfect gentlemen but doesn't always work that way.

He may have formed a pair bond with the non injured hen and become territorial and protective of her. I would try removing the drake for a week and then reintroducing him to the ducks.

Thank you both. I will try to separate him if I need to, but he kind of freaks out when he is away from "his girl"

Awesome names huh? lol. I finally gave in and separated the drake, man is he upset. Laverne and Shirley are fine together, but cry sometimes for Squiggy. I hope it will get better over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom