australian spotted ducks who know what about them I have a chance to g

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    australian spotted ducks who know what about them I have a chance to get some. They are going to be $15 each. But I know nothing about them.......just not sure..... Any help would be very helpful

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    That's a pretty good price for Australian Spotteds. I have a flock of them. We have raised them now for about 9 or so years. I absolutely love them. They are right up there as some of the friendliest ducks I have ever owned. They are just an all around fun duck to work with. They are beautiful birds, calm, and will go broody. I think it is probably one of the breeds that I will always have in my collection. [​IMG]

3. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I have them too and I agree...they are easy, pleasant ducks to have. My 1 female went broody this year (at almost 1 yr old) and hatched 8 ducklings. They are 2 months old already and she's laying eggs again too! I'm collecting them and selling them since I don't want anymore ducklings. I will be selling 4 or 6 of the babies once I know what they are...."Go for it" is my vote!
    Lisa

4. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    When I went to see these birds.........they were pure white.....and very very small. As soon as I looked at them I said call duck righ away. From information i have gathered from here and online things just didn't add up......

Any thoughts????

5. rflagg2

rflagg2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    I breed one of my pure white Australian Spotted with a very colourful drake and out of 10 of her offspring 8 were all white. So it just depends.

6. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Pics please![​IMG]

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    There are no such things as pure white Australian Spotteds. I know a few people that advertise Aussies that show pure white birds in their flocks. They are mixes. Pure Australian Spotteds should never throw all white. If a White bird is bred to a non-white bird and white offspring were produced, it means that the non-white bird is also a mix as both parents have to carry the recessive white gene to produce white offspring. I would *not* breed from birds (that are supposed to be Australian Spotteds) that are white or produce white offspring. It highly suggests that the birds are mixed breed.

Editing to add- In looking at your birds, Rflagg, I really don't mean this to sound offensive, but your birds are not pure Australian Spotteds. I really hope you don't take that offensively as I am not a person that thinks that ducks always need to be kept pure. In addition to the recessive white gene, some of your birds obviously also carry the pied gene (R/R). That is what is producing the broken pattern and excess white at the nape. Again, this strongly suggests that they are mixed breeds. You certainly have some pretty birds though and I don't mean that to sound rude. I would just not breed from the birds that are white or have excess white in the napes.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. rflagg2

Aug 24, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    This was my white female
    [​IMG]

Her mate was this drake
    [​IMG]

This is her babies at day or two old
    [​IMG]

and then
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then all most full grown. I kept two of her babies she hatched this year
    Front is the drake and the one behind is feamle (pure white)
    [​IMG]

I think that white Australian Spotted are possible because of the genes in the Silverhead varitey. I am not ruling out any colours as "not australian spotted" because other people are always coming up with "new" colours of other breeds. I enjoy getting a mix of colours and I believe that they are not mixed with calls or another breed of duck. I trust my research and Holderread's opinions. I hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

aw, man, those are just TOO cute! [​IMG]

10. rflagg2

Aug 24, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by