Australian Spotted or Mini Appleyards?

fogbubble

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 9, 2009
Western NC
I'd like to try some mini ducks, and I can't decide between Australian Spotteds and Mini Appleyards. They look the same to me on Holderreads' website.
I like strong colors and a cute face on a duck, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for calls yet (I heard they're hard to raise). Any input on differences/strong points on the two?
tongue.png

Shannon

Quote:
The Mini Appleyards you see listed are actually called Silver Bantams.............remember that Holderread's is a preservation center, which means that in it's original form, or maybe better said "original country or origin" the Mini Appleyards looked exactly as Holderread's has listed................but there are true Mini Silver Appleyards out there if that is what you are looking for. I think a few folks here have them. The Silver Bantam or Mini Silver Appleyard's that Holderread's has look much like the Snowy Call duck only slightly larger.

giffy
----------------

Ok....
So the Miniature Silver Appleyards that Holderreads has are in fact Silver Bantams. And true mini Appleyards do exist, but we're not sure who has them. Now I'm confused, but I do think I want a small appleyard-colored duck. How do Holderreads' mini Appleyard/Silver Bantams compare to Australian Spotteds?

I also like Black East Indies but I can't afford the adults that Holderreads sells, and I don't know how else to get them.

Thanks for the info!

Shannon

Kawonu, I'm interested in visiting your place and checking out your birds sometime. You're on Newfound Road near Leicester, right?

Shannon

Quote:
The original Miniature Silver Appleyard was created in the 1940's by Reginald Appleyard, it did not look exactly as the larger version of the Silver Appleyard. At that time a Khaki Campbell and White Call drake was used to create what was then known as the Mini Appleyard............................that is what Holderread's has.

In the 1980's, Tom Bartlett created a bantam breed that was very close to the larger Silver Appleyard...................the older version is now known as the Silver Bantam while the 1980's version is known as the Miniature Appleyard.

Best way to describe the Silver Bantam would be an oversized Snowy Call. Both the Silver Bantam and Australian Spotted are similar in size.

Hope this helps........

giffy
-------------------

I have kept Silver Bantams for several years now and they are my favorite ducks of all the breeds I have kept over the years. In my experience, in addition to being beautiful, they are quiet, calm, and friendly. Even the birds I have bought as adults are extremely calm and outgoing. I am not sure that anyone in the US has true Miniature Appleyards. If they do, I have never seen them. What everyone has that I have ever seen is Silver Bantams. I am working to develop a true Miniature Appleyard like they have in Europe, which I may sell for the first time later in the year. As other people have already said, there are Silver Appleyard Calls too. I don't know anything about the development of the color in Calls or whether or not they are true Appleyard color, but they do look like they are from what I have seen.

I also have kept the Australian Spotteds for several years as well. I really enjoy having them too. I don't find them to be *quite* as outgoing as my Silver Bantams, but they are still very calm and friendly. As far as beauty, it doesn't get more beautiful in my opinion. I have and absolutely love all three colors, especially the Blue Heads. I, personally, do not care for Black East Indies. I may very well add them again this year because I think they are so pretty. Personality wise though, I did not find them to be very friendly when I had them before and I got mine as ducklings even. It might have just been my individual birds though. Anyway, Holderrread's have them on sale and I know Ideal sells them as ducklings for only about $5 a piece.

Back
Top Bottom