Australian Spotteds---Do Yours Lay?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KatGold, Sep 18, 2012.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    What the heck, ducks? Aren't you ever going to lay for me?

These ducks were born May 2011. They laid eggs in the fall for a while, then it got cold and they stopped. They laid eggs in May and June, but I don't think I've seen an egg since early July. They haven't laid since.

I got them a boyfriend right about the time they stopped laying. My daughter's are convinced that they just got shy and haven't gotten over it.

It was hot over the summer, but not crazy hot. It's been either rainy and cool or just downright beautiful for the last week or so. (On that note, all of my chickens have slowed way down with the change of weather, is there something to that?)

Do your Spots lay more than this? I thought they were supposed to be pretty good layers.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I thought they were seasonal layers but I don't personally keep them so I can't verify that.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Did I miss how many you have, and how many drakes you now have?

There are probably a dozen things that influence laying. Among them, off the top of my head:

diet
    light
    temperature
    illness/parasites
    genetics
    trauma vs contentedness
    trace pollutants in drinking water
    overbreeding

4. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I have two females that I hatched (the eggs came from New Jersey) and the drake came from Oregon (he's new).

They have organic, commercial feed available at all times and free range some part of each day.

We have long days here, but the coop does have a roof. But long days of ambient light mixed with free range.

The do not appear to be ill. They seem happy and content. They drink rain water.

I can't speak to genetics. The eggs came from a flock that lays regularly and drake from Holderreads.

It's a head-scratcher.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Indeed it is a mystery. Perhaps a therapist? [​IMG]

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    bantams like mini SA and call ducks are seasonal layers. Diet, weather, daylight, stressors like dogs or predators new birds and housing changes can all effect laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by