Australorp and Black Copper Maran Cross

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ekagj, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

These are two different breeds. I personally hatched them from my chickens. I thought they were full siblings. I thought they were both my blue andalusian cross and my black copper meran, but the older the non blurry one I'm starting think its an australorp meran cross. Both chick are 9 weeks old and there is a major size difference (can't tell in the picture but in person they are) But not sure if its a rooster or a hen. I'm thinking a rooster but not 100% sure. Anyone have any thoughts???

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Probably a pullet in the front, definate rooster in the back.

3. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    that's what i figured.. [​IMG] but that's ok. he is super sweet and loves attention! a little scared of the dark but other than he is my favorite!

4. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    thanks!!

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Is the the rooster that is larger? Because roosters are larger than their hen counterparts.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    They could still be full siblings, just different genders. Rooster in the back, pullet in the front.

7. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    The rooster is bigger but they are not full siblings. I know exactly which chicken is the pullets, but the rooster we didn't know forsure which chicken was mom. The eggs where different colors. The pullet's mom is a smaller breed cross and the only other one of our chickens that were laying was the australorp. That's why i was wondering cause the rooster is about the same size as the marans when they were 9 weeks. So that's the main reason i starting wondering.

Thanks everyone!!

8. cindyu

cindyu New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    I have 2 out of 6 homeraised chicks that look just like this. Papa was definitely a BCM and I'm assuming the mamas were 2 of my black australorps since they both have black legs, and the australorps are the only type of chicken I have with black legs. I have one other from the hatch with black legs but she looks much more like an easter egger. I have ee hens but there are also 2 others from the hatch that look like ee's and this one has black legs also. It's fun trying to figure out these mutts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by