Australorp and RIR eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BYCoop, Jan 19, 2014.

1. BYCoop

BYCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    I have an Australorp and a RIR. Very friendly. We used to get two eggs a day, but now we are just getting one. Is this something I should worry about, or is one just taking a longer brooding time? If so, which breed takes longer? When should I expect two eggs again?

Thanks!

2. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Lots of hens will not lay an egg every day. Something more like 5 eggs per week would be normal. So, if you were getting an egg per day from each of them, it seems normal that one (or maybe both) are taking a break. If you know for sure that it's one hen that stopped laying, and the other is still laying, it could be any number of reasons. If everyone seems healthy, I would not worry.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Also, being winter, they can slow down on the egg laying. My australorps are great layers. I have one that is 3 years old that will lay every day during the spring, summer and fall. But come winter, she slows down to a crawl. Be patient, the eggs should be coming soon. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by