Australorp and???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KDOGG331, Mar 10, 2016.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok so I made a post about the flooring but apparently my friend doesn't work in the store part so nothing can be done so I'm making a post just for the breeds

Anyway, normally I'm pretty good at figuring out most breeds but these little guys have me stumped haha

I thought about reds and someone suggested it but the wings dont look solid? Is that how they look?

The black one I'm pretty sure is an Australorp.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. phinc

phinc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Colorado
    My guess would be Rhode island red, that is how mine started to feather and then darker feathers came in :)

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
  5. popsicle

Penguin looking? You're probably right that they are Australorp. You can look at the bottoms of the feet: pink = Australorp, yellow = Jersey Giant--of course there are other options, but those are the two most common.

6. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

No, the other ones. There's the little black penguin looking one but then there seem to be 3 that are grey instead of red like the other 3. They look similar to the other 3 though besides being grey. They're next to the black one and one is next to a red one. If you click it to enlarge it you may be able to see them better. Are those reds too or something else?

The Australorp I figured out immediately when I saw it didn't have a spot on its heard like a barred rock and had a white butt. Then later i saw the slate legs. Wasn't sure if it was Australorp or jersey giant till. saw the legs. I have 2 Australorps :)

7. popsicle

Um... I don't see any grey chicks.

8. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

Maybe its just the lighting but 3 look at least darker if not grey than the others. The one on the newspaper furthest to the left and then the 2 directly to the right of the Australorp

Can the same breed maybe have different down color?

9. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    I'm thinking RIR. Mine had patterns on their wings but then got fully red feathers. I have two and one was darker as a chick than the other, it is completely normal. Good luck![​IMG]

10. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks! That's good to know :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by