1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp at that 'tween stage - is this white coloring permament?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SewingDiva, Jul 17, 2008.

1. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Our chicks were 4 weeks yesterday, and they are feathering out nicely. The Australorp's body feathering looks like an adult birds but she still has white chick fuzz feathering on her head, which makes her look kind of like a wild turkey. [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me when she will turn all black? Her legs are starting to turn black now, and her beak is getting darker too. She has some white tips on her wings, so I wonder if that will be permananet or not.

~Phyllis

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My little BA girl around 7 weeks old [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my beautiful girl last week, at 14 weeks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Isn't she lovely? [​IMG]

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    She is a very nice looking bird. The white tips should molt out during her first molt. They should go away soon.

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My BA pullet is 3 months old and completely black now. She had that same white when she was younger though. [​IMG]

5. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, the white tips will go away. Isn't it odd how Austrolorps have white tips when they are young and always have white bottomed feet? Makes me wonder, why.

6. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

My Chickie is losing her last white wing feathers at age 3 months. She is very slowly getting head feathers. Because she is a frizzle, her body looks to larger compared to her little featherless head. Still she is the prettiest thing I ever did see and I tell her daily. Here she is with her DBF, Roo, a 5 month old Blue Salmon Faverolle.
    [​IMG]

7. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

You both have such pretty birds! I just love seeing photos of chickens in the garden.

[​IMG]

~Phyllis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by