Australorp? Black Cochin? Something else??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MamaDoodle, Sep 21, 2013.

1. MamaDoodle

MamaDoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    My two roosters are confusing! They are about the size of my Orpington and RIR, black with a greenish tint on the tails, gold flecks on their necks, buttercup combs, and feathered legs. But every time I look up a breed who has similarities, they don't match up perfectly, especially due to their legs. [​IMG] They are also great caretakers of the hens but don't bother me. My neighbor, who gave them to me, never said what they were, which is unusual for her since she knows her chickens well. But she did say all of their babies came out looking just like them and feathered legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know?? I will be eternally grateful!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that they are mixes. Could you get a closer picture of their body and comb?

3. MamaDoodle

Sep 12, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Mixes would make sense...is this picture good to tell by? If not, I will go catch one again. :)

4. Veer67

From what I see they have a modified rosecomb often seen on Redcaps and some Dominiques. Where did your neighbor get them?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. MamaDoodle

Sep 12, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    Oh, okay...I was just going by a chart in a magazine. [​IMG]

And she got them from a woman down the road (I could ask her the address and ride down there when the rain stops) who said they were too aggressive for her other roosters, but they were the same for her so she gave them to me. We tend to do more trading out here than we do go out of town to buy animals...which has lead to confusion like this in the past.

6. Veer67

I would say that they are mix breeds but you can see what kind of mixes they are when you go. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixed breed roosters.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are mixed breeds. They might have some Australorp or Wyandotte in them, but its always difficult to guess the exact breeds that make up a mixed breed. The feathered legs suggest that they have a feather legged breed in their ancestry, maybe Marans or Cochin.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by