Australorp Chick question

Cammy i agree too.
wee.gif

Australorps ARE sexed at the hatcheries. The female and male chicks are color distinguishable.

Now, if you have "mutts", I do not know, but there should be a sex link even in these.

Look on feathersite and some of the hatcheries for the differences.

I have TWO black Austros from the feed store and they did indeed grow up to be hens.

Yeah, but aren't the hatcheries just looking up the chicks' skirts to see if they have a whoowhoodilly?

Quote:
They were sexed at the hatchery, then they grew up. Laying well too. I meant the photo to show that they were marked differently as chicks and were all female anyway.

Sorry my original post was not clear. A paragraph seems to have disappeared while loading photos. My Australorp pullets did have different markings as chicks and did have some white wing tips as juveniles, but they are all black now. I did not mean to imply that sexing of Australorp chicks was possible, just that the Australorp can be used to make a sex link chick as asked by the OP. It has to cross with a non-white hen with sex linked barring for that to happen.

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't mean to come across like that, sorry please forgive me. I was just wondering if the sexing was from the coloring or vent sexing. If it was from the coloring that would have been great! It would have been so much easier to tell.

They are great layers! I think the Australorp makes a very nice Sex Link. I have only saw a picture of one, but she was very pretty.

It doesn't matter, i love them all anyway. I appreciate everyone's input!

My 2 BA chicks were from a local feed store (from a hatchery). They said they were all pullets, too, but one of mine started crowing at 10 weeks old! Around that same time, I checked around and found craigslist and my farm coop had quite a few ads for young BA cockerels, who were supposed to have been pullets, too. Made me wonder just how accurate is sexing on black australorps. Doesn't seem to be 90%.

Another data point: I ordered 2 Australorp chicks from a hatchery and paid extra for hens. One had plenty of white spots (who grew into a lovely hen) and the other was all black - who turned out to be a rooster!

Back
Top Bottom