Australorp chick with no comb

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by loislane2013, Nov 26, 2013.

1. loislane2013

loislane2013 New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    I am wondering if anyone can help me. I have 2 australorp chicks (about 7 weeks old). They both have all their feathers, in fact they are almost ready to join the flock. the thing is though, one if significantly larger and has a large comb and chin thing (what is this called btw). The other has zero comb and is heaps smaller.

We got them at 10days old and were told they were both hens.

Do i have a rooster? Oh, i hope not. How can i tell if it is. Or is it normal for them to have no comb and chin thing??

[​IMG]
    This was them about a week ago (the one with the white face have no comb)

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Looks like the one with a very small comb and wattle is a girl. You can see the larger comb and wattle is also starting to turn more pink/red, and those are both indicators of a male/cockrel. You'll only know for sure when he crows. But I would put my money on 1 male, 1 female there.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The one on the right is a boy and the one on the left is a girl.
    The thing under their chin is called a waddle.
    Sexing most chicks is an art, not a science.
    The girl has a comb and a chin thing but it is still so much smaller that the pullet's goes unnoticed in young chicks.
    The little rooster's feathers are already more glossy than the pullets drabber plumage.
    Yep you got one Adam and one Eve there for sure.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, one boy one girl. The girl's comb and wattle will get larger and redder as she reaches sexual maturity, around 5ish months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by