Australorp Experts, I need help sexing these birds. **PIC HEAVY**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Elite Silkies, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They seem to be very slow maturing. They are suppose to be 26 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3.
    [​IMG]

#4.
    [​IMG]

#5.
    [​IMG]

#6.
    [​IMG]

#7.
    [​IMG]

#8.
    [​IMG]

#9.
    [​IMG]

#10.
    [​IMG]

#11.
    [​IMG]

#12.
    [​IMG]

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

In the first picture it looks like there's two roos in the background but all the other pics look like girlies to me. Picture number 11 looks like you have a couple hens who's combs are turning so they should be laying any minute.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I am not an australorp expert but I have had them before. They all look like hens to me except possibly #7.

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, and you have some very pretty Aussies by the way. Where did you get them? I crossed one of my black Aussies with my Easter Egger last year and the baby looks just like a regular Aussie but has the little chipmunk cheeks-she's gorgeous!

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you, I got them from a breeder in Texas. She only hatches certain hens eggs. She tries her best to breed for quality.

I would love to see a pic of your cross. Sounds beautiful with the cheek tufts.

6. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I sure hope they start laying soon, but I'm thinking maybe they are a little younger than 26 weeks. I would think they would have a much larger comb and wattles at this age. I'm thinking maybe 23-24 weeks.

7. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

to me they are all hens, if there was any roos, you would have already heard him Crowing.
    they should be laying any time, or maybe since its darker sooner, it maybe throwing them off.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm no expert but they all look like hens to me. I hesitated on #7 -something about her posture is rooish, but everything else about her looks hennish so I think hen.

9. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    #3 and #7 look rooish to me. If they are, I can deal with 7 hens. Was suppose to have 10, but things don't always end up that way.

I had one that looked like a hen until a month ago, and put me into shock when out of no where came hackle and saddle feathers.

10. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by