Australorp - Finally Have Plans

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rudimyers, Feb 5, 2011.

1. rudimyers

rudimyers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    Thank you all for responding to my previous posts. I finally sat down with my sketchbook and sketched out a layout for a coop. Hopefully, you can read my chicken scratch (bum bum bum) handwriting. If not, the idea goes as follows -

Chicken coop is 4 feet high by 8 feet wide by 8 feet long. It sits on 2 feet high feet. Around the feet is hardware cloth. There is a ladder and opening that leads from the bottom of the coop to the area under the feet. An egg box sits on one side of the coop. The back and front have a door of some sort. One foot high opening running around the top (just under the roof) with hardware cloth for venting. How much more venting do I need and/or where?

I haven't designed the inside yet.

Attached to the coop would be a 6 foot high run. Hardware cloth running around the bottom two feet (height wise). Chicken wire otherwise. Four feet from coop to a door (for humans and also to let chickens out into the great wide world). 8 feet from door to the end. Basically, an 8 foot wide and long and 6 foot high box.

Please critique.

[​IMG]

Sorry, that is too small. I tried uploading again and choosing a different size. I was told this image was already uploaded. How do I get into my images and delete so I can reload?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. rudimyers

rudimyers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
  3. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    I would say 6 birds comfortably , 8 max , with the run and letting them out . My building is 6x8 and my run is 7 x 12 4ft high and i have 10 birds , almost too many! im starting to think i might cut back to 8 birds.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Wow I wish they sold little hen houses in my area for that price! very nice. I agree with the Prior Person.. 6 comfortable, possibly 7.

5. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    If the craigslist link posted is built well, 2' centers max and with all the proper materials, thats a steal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by