Australorp Gender crisis!

beebee

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
We were told this Australorp is about 5 wks old. We were told it was a female which we are hoping is the case. We are a little concerned though because of her tail and neck. Also seems to be a little harder to tame than the others. Help?
106076_chickies_007.jpg

106076_chickies_008.jpg

106076_chickies_006.jpg

106076_chickies_005.jpg

this is mine... It has no tail... is that weird??? Does that have anything to do with gender?

28956_img_20110901_120452.jpg

Yep, cute girl! They all have their own personalities and while most are calm and easily tamed, some are less so. Get a bit of it's food and soak it in water till it makes a paste and feed it to her from your hand. For some reason little chicks LOVE LOVE LOVE that. Not so much once they get older but all the babies I've ever had around here go nuts for their regular old food, but soaked in water. lol. As you know, food is key. They are very very motivated by a good snack, just make sure she always eats treats from your hand only. She'll come around but don't expect her to be huggy. Some are, some aren't. Most aren't.

Quote:
It's either going to grow one, or it's been plucked out most likely. Australorps are basically Australia's Orpingtons and they are very very similar. In most breeds, males tend to get tails last. But in my experience with Orpingtons, it's a cr@p shoot. Females are just as likely to be slow to get a tail as a male is.

But honestly, you got yourself a little roo there. Lack of feathers all over and the size of that comb.. has to be a boy.

Quote:
It's either going to grow one, or it's been plucked out most likely. Australorps are basically Australia's Orpingtons and they are very very similar. In most breeds, males tend to get tails last. But in my experience with Orpingtons, it's a cr@p shoot. Females are just as likely to be slow to get a tail as a male is.

But honestly, you got yourself a little roo there. Lack of feathers all over and the size of that comb.. has to be a boy.

Lol yep thats been the general consensus. His tail feathers are there, just very teeny.

Back
Top Bottom