Australorp - Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunnyducks, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Sunnyducks

Sunnyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Hi all

Posting some more photos of Delilah, my Australorp girl (??). A few weeks ago there were mixed views but I was eventually sure she was a pullet due to the lack of a full comb and wattles.But here I am again - she's now going on for 24 weeks. No egg, but no sign of crowing. She's very pushy, bordering on aggressive, leaping up at my ring, anything I'm holding whether it looks like food or not. And she's chasing all the others. (I did see her chasing my araucana just before he disappeared and I think that is probably how come he squeezed through the tiny gap in the fenceline). So at the risk of irritating anyone who has already answered me earlier, I am posting some more photos hoping that you confirm she is a pullet. The part I'm really nervous about is her hackle feathers being pretty pointy. Thank you in advance, and sorry to be a pain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LynnPG

LynnPG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    Looks female, but would need to see more of the body

3. PandCo

PandCo Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    What a beautiful Australorp!

I had the same issue with my Australorp (Charlotte) I raised from a chick. I was always afraid she'd end up being a roo because she showed similar signs as yours is now, but it never happened. For that reason I think its a female as well.

Most males at that age would be crowing and whatnot. Charlotte didn't lay until about 24 weeks too, so hang in there. I also have an Orpington (Merryweather) who didn't lay until just over 8 months! Every case is different.

I wish you luck!

ETA picture:
    Here she was around that age. Notice the similarities in the hackle feathers shape. (look closely)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you, I'll take a photo later.

5. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you @PandCo

She is beautiful, though I guess I'm biased! I am encouraged by all these posts. Interesting that you had the same quandary with Charlotte - was yours very dominant too?

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. mramericauna

mramericauna Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    Western Kentucky
    Pick "her" up with one hand from under her body and let the legs hang. If she pulls them up to her body she is a he if not she is still a she

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I do see the hackle feathers you're talking about, they are a touch suspiscous. Nothing else looks male, but I agree a full body shot, profile in natural light, will help. If it's a cockerel, it's one of the slowest developing Aussies I've ever seen here. How sure area you on age? Have you had it from hatch?

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    looks like a pullet

10. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you for posting your photo of Charlotte - she's very like Delilah, especially with the hackle feathers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by