1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

australorp hatches guineas!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ozark hen, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I am so excited! A few weeks ago I found my female guinea sitting on a bunch of eggs but she left the nest and didn't go back. I gathered the eggs and placed them under my little black australorp who was brooding without any eggs under her. I figured I had nothing to lose. Today, she hatched 15 out of 16 eggs so far. I am so excited as my female guinea disappeared about a week ago. She came back the first morning but never returned. Either she is sitting on eggs or something got her! I felt so bad for my male who keeps calling her. Now today we have lots of guineas! To be on the safe side I took 13 and put them in my RubberMaid container under a heat lamp. I left the little hen a few but want to be sure I end up with guineas. Now everyone is happy all around. I will post pictures as soon as Photo bucket downloads them. I have dial up service so it takes a very long time.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    here is the picture finally.
    [​IMG]
    these all hatched today. It was my first experience with eggs hatching. It was great!
    [​IMG] these are so much smaller than regular chicks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    oh my

I wanna see eggs hatch! Too bad I dont live on an acreage, darnitall!

They are adorable!
    Jill

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    They are just too cute...I am happy for you!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    awwwww........they are so adorable!!!

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thank you all! I just showed them how to get their sugar water and sprinkled some chick starter around for them. They are eating and drinking! [​IMG] It was just so neat to go to the nest and see little keets peeking out at me. I lifted the hen and saw all these little ones. It was just so neat! I feel very, very lucky to have a good broody hen.

7. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    You are very lucky, If you like having chicks that is. I just love watching mom and babies. It is so interesting. I could watch them for hours.

8. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Ozark Hen, I am soooo jealous, lol. What adorable babies. I am up to two guineas, 1 I have had for a yr and the other Buff Brahmas gave to me. I called Estes Hatchery yesterday and they are supposed to be holding six keets for me, will be in Springfield on the 18th, and will pick them up then. I hope they all do well, and if you want to part with any let me know, lol

9. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:I didn't even realize there was a hatchery in Springfield! I checked the hen outside this morning and she has lost all but one of the keets?! I am so glad I brought them in the house to raise! So far mine are doing well. If I still had my female I would be more than happy to give you some but since I don't know if she is setting in the field somewhere or a predator has gotten her I don't want to lose any right now. I hope you understand? If she should show up with little ones trailing behind her I will definitely email you how is that?? I will then give you a few to add to your collection of keets. ha Send me an email entitled Keets so I can save your email or I won't remember who asked for some. [​IMG]

10. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by