Australorp hen

JudysMuscovy

Songster
Dec 26, 2015
Texas
I have a two year old hen, she is losing feathers àlot. I just took her in my garage and gave her a bath - I wanted to see if she was mites - I saw none in the bath water. She is completely raw on her bottom side butt and tummy. I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Is she just molting?
IMG_20180113_151747.jpg

I also have australorps and I had a lice problem inside my hen house (by the way I solved the problem with a new hen house and by replacing the cement floor with an earthen floor). If you didn't find mites on her, could it be the fault of your other hens? Did you noticed aggressive behaviour of the other hens against her?

I also have australorps and I had a lice problem inside my hen house (by the way I solved the problem with a new hen house and by replacing the cement floor with an earthen floor). If you didn't find mites on her, could it be the fault of your other hens? Did you noticed aggressive behaviour of the other hens against her?
She is a top hen that's what is so crazy. I have three Australorp hens and they are all missing some feathers, so I am not sure what's Happening when I am not there
When they molt do they lose the feathers everywhere? I am just besude myself wondering- but tommorow the coop is getting cleaned and the girls are all getting treated for miles - cause I just don't know what is wrong with just the three Australorp hens - my other hens look fine they are red sexlink hens

My australorp is losing her feathers also so is my red sex link. Some chickens molt late, I am pretty sure it is not aggressive behavior with my chickens they are last in the pecking order out of ten but my chickens aren't that aggressive type. They will peck at their face of the chickens are doing something they don't like but never attack them and grab them by their feathers. If the cold weather is starting to go away it could just be late molting.

She is a top hen that's what is so crazy. I have three Australorp hens and they are all missing some feathers, so I am not sure what's Happening when I am not there
When they molt do they lose the feathers everywhere? I am just besude myself wondering- but tommorow the coop is getting cleaned and the girls are all getting treated for miles - cause I just don't know what is wrong with just the three Australorp hens - my other hens look fine they are red sexlink hens
Yes, it could be that your australorps are molting but the hen in the pictures has an irritated and swollen bottom side butt and tummy. It's strange in my opinion.

My australorp is losing her feathers also so is my red sex link. Some chickens molt late, I am pretty sure it is not aggressive behavior with my chickens they are last in the pecking order out of ten but my chickens aren't that aggressive type. They will peck at their face of the chickens are doing something they don't like but never attack them and grab them by their feathers. If the cold weather is starting to go away it could just be late molting.
Generally hybrid layers are more aggressive and territorial than pure breed chickens. I have some Isa brown hens too and they can get really mean sometimes :lau The fact that in this case all the Australorp hens are missing feathers and all the red sex link hens aren't, makes me doubt that it's a coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom