Australorp...male or femaile?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by momofone, Oct 27, 2013.

1. momofone

momofone Just Hatched

Oct 27, 2013
    Up until recently, we were pretty sure this was a female. However, over the last few weeks she has started crowing. I've done some research and found that the dominant female will sometimes take on the traits of a rooster if there isn't one present (we don't have a rooster).

I've attached a pic....just want to be sure she is a she and not a he. Her name is Blackie and she is about 4 months old.

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Older dominant hens can crow, yes. Young pullets don't crow. You have a handsome young rooster there.

1 person likes this.
  3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    it is a cockerel

1 person likes this.
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Actually not true. I had a pullet crow. I wish i would of taken a video of here before she passed

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Okay, well, I"m chalking that up to highly unusual. This bird is still a rooster, as are apparently 99.9% of birds that crow before 8 months.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

A roo for sure

1 person likes this.
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I also said it was a cockerel. But that dosent change the fact that it isnt impossible for a pullet to crow

1 person likes this.
  8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Crowing plus long sickle feathers in tail and nice large red comb and wattles at 4 months of age...rooster.

Sorry, it is very, very unusual for hens to crow and take on male feathers (due to hormone imbalances). It can happen, but is is highly unlikely. Much more likely you simply have a slower maturing male.

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    O my. Forget I said anything about the possibiltiy of a pullet crowing. I only said that to let the OP know that there has pullets that have crowed before. But I did say that it was a cockerel. To clear things up... there is no way this is a pullet is 110% rooster.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Oh No...I think it was good you brought it up. It's good to know that you had a pullet who did (I've always wondered of the possibility as I know it can happen with hormone imbalances in older hens). Part of the discussion was the likelihood that the OP's could be one of those (which unfortunately it is not).

My comments were directed to OP so that he would know why we all, including you, think so strongly this is a rooster. Those sickle feathers in the tail and large red comb/wattles at 4 months scream young rooster...which is what the bird is doing too by crowing.

But the crowing pullet or hen is worthy of discussion because of its rarity. Too bad you didn't get a video. That would have been fun to see.

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by