Australorp mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smkchick, Sep 28, 2011.

1. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    This is Gladys. I rescued her and have no idea of her breed or age. She has the greenish shimmer I read is an Australorp characteristic, but she also has markings that look like a Barnevelder. I'm guessing she's about 16 weeks old, tops. She's very bonded to me, or thinks she's part feline, because she loves to sit on my lap while I'm reading outside. Pecks my head if I'm not paying enough attention to her! But she got me hooked on chickens - I'd wanted to start a flock before I found her. I figured she was a "sign" to go for it, so I've just gotten 3 pullets - a black Australorp, a Barred Rock and a Golden Comet.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Looks like a 2-3month old black sexlink pullet [​IMG]

3. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    I dunno, I think she might be a mix. My Black Sexlinks only have the brown on thier chest, she's got it everywhere.

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Quote:x2

5. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    I sort of gave up trying to figure out her mix. I'm just enjoying her personality! I never knew chickens were so awesome. I got laid off from my teaching job in June and have been in a terrible funk. Tonight my boyfriend told me he hasn't seen me this happy in a long time and he's glad we got the chickens if only for that. I told him, "Just wait for the eggs!". When Gladys started eating the carpenter ants that are eating our house, he said if she'd eat the mosquitoes too she could come sleep in the bedroom with us!! Tonight we looked at chicken pictures together. I think he's coming around...

Thanks everyone!![​IMG]

6. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    She sure is pretty! [​IMG] I have 3 black stars and one has a lot of red on her chest and the other 2 not so much. One of them has that greenish sheen that the Australorp has. They are very sweet too! I wish they would sit with me while I read!

7. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Except for the head pecking part...[​IMG]

8. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Quote:yea i agree most probably a black sexlink, or may be cross

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by