1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp mixed sexlinks chicks?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by izzybe3, Apr 21, 2017.

1. izzybe3

izzybe3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Erwin ,TN
    do you guys know what they would look like??? i think ive got some but im not sure.... plz post pictures of them plz

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Sexlinks are not an actual breed, and there are different varieties anyway (red, black, etc) so it would be hard to say. If the Australorp was black then the chicks will most likely be black. What color are your chicks?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Depends on what sort of sexlink. Australorp bred to a red sexlink could produce solid white chicks. A black sexlink rooster to Australorp hens will result in about half the chicks inheriting barring.

4. izzybe3

Apr 3, 2016
    Erwin ,TN
    Quote:thanks so much!!! this helps and its white, with three tiny black dots.....

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What kind of sexlink are we talking about? Was the Australorp the mother or the father?

6. izzybe3

Apr 3, 2016
    Erwin ,TN
    also do you have pictures of them???? when their older, i cant find any thing.....

7. izzybe3

Apr 3, 2016
    Erwin ,TN
    australorp is the father and a red sexlink is the bio. mother... a red female japanse batam took it up.....

8. izzybe3

Apr 3, 2016
    Erwin ,TN
    She is sitting on 8 eggs and she thinks the other one (the baby chick) is one of hers.....[​IMG]

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The extended black of the Australorp is dominant. The dominant white of the red sexlink hen will modifies black to white. 50% will be solid black, 50% will be white. Some of the white chicks may have a few flecks of black. Males will likely develop red leakage as they mature.
    The get an idea of what the white chicks will grow up to look like, check out some pics of AustraWhites.

10. izzybe3

Apr 3, 2016
    Erwin ,TN
    Thank you so much!! later i will post a picture. i dont know when tho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by