Australorp Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rsweet, Mar 10, 2016.

1. rsweet

rsweet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2014
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    We recently introduced a Leghorn and Australorp to our flock the Leghorn took to laying day one but the Aussie still hasn't she seems a little stand off ish. It's only been two weeks so not a big issue. Are Australorps a sensitive breed?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Not usually but not all birds stick to the breed standard, they also lay less than leghorns so she could be taking her time.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old are your hens?

4. rsweet

Dec 24, 2014
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    They are all roughly 7 + months old.

5. rsweet

Dec 24, 2014
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    One other thing is that our RIR bullied her at first but it doesnt seem to be an issue anymore.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some australorps are a bit more meek, she should be old enough to lay. Some hens can take a bit longer to feel comfortable enough to lay. My guess would be about a month.

7. rsweet

Dec 24, 2014
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    Thanks... She seems a little meek but that's ok she's coming around. It's funny our leghorn who is by far the smallest of the clan doesn't sweat any of the others she is comfortable in her own skin ain't none of them besting her.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Leghorns are often flighty with people but confident with other chickens. It's all in the attitude. Australorps are usually gentle and curious, and can become quite tame and enjoy a good conversation with their keepers, they have been some of my favorite birds.

9. rsweet

Dec 24, 2014
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    You are correct the leghorn doesn't care for our attention. I'm hoping for good things from our Australorp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by