1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp.....oops, actually a Jersey Giant Rooster....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, May 12, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    My Australorp Roo (from the TSC pullet bin, ha ha) is.....massive. He is about 8 weeks old now? And he is bigger than my 10 week old RIRx Roo......

Do they grow incredibly fast or are they supposed to be way bigger than others? The pullet is pretty big too, but my roo has just about doubled in size in the last couple weeks, and his feathers are still coming in! I have some leghorns and buttercups (pullets) the same age and he is easily double their size....although they still kick his tail feathers six ways to Sunday. His legs are HUGE.....at least twice the size of the pullet legs.

He has been feathering in soooooo slooooowly. He is still prickly to pick up as most of his feathers are very short......

I like to call him my Australoops.....don't have any good pics showing his size. you can see his legs as compared to the Australorp pullet behind him. And his height compared to the leghorn pullet next to him.

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about Australorps.....are the Roos really big?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    My australope rooster is masive as well. He far out sizes my orpington roo But mine are not hatcherey birds so I don't know I do know Australopes are considered large fowl. I only hope yours is gentle mine is not He will attack you as soon as look at you.

3. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    So far, mine is much nicer than my RIRx......I don't think it has anything to do with age...my RIRx (Crockpot) has had an attittude for a while now and he is only 10 weeks. He did the angry Rooster growl at me yesterday when I grabbed his girl and she squawked, and he has nailed me in the hand already a couple times when I have reached into the night pen. Potsticker, the australorp roo is actually one of the nicest of the bunch. He tries to keep the peace between the crazy Buttercups and everyone else.

Anyone else have any big ol Australorp Roosters?

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We have a BA roo. Well, actually he's a cockerel, now 6 1/2 mo old. He's VERY big....and very pretty. I call him Zephyrus (god of the west wind). Maybe I can get a pic of him later today. So far he's well behaved.

5. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I figured out why my Australorp cockerel is so massive.

He is a Jersey Giant. WHOOPS. Hahahahahahahaha. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Oh my, guess that would explain it! I'd love to have a Jersey Giant, but then again I'd like a few of many breeds! [​IMG]

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Better late than never (I hope). Here's my BA cockerel. I call him Zephyrus (god of the west wind in Greek mythology) ...

[​IMG][/

8. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    He looks great! Cool name too. I just gave away 3 BA cockerals. That leaves me with none in the flock. I might get a few hens this fall as I do plan to get layers with my shipment of meaties. Again, great looking bird

As for the massive size, the BAs are considered large fowl but they don't get huge. They are smaller then the Orpingtons and the Rocks, and the same size of the RIRs. The Jersey Giant is of course the biggest of any. Don't feel bad though, I had 3 jersey giants and 3 BAs and after 8 weeks I couldn't tell them apart and since they were roos that had to go, I didn't try, lol

vortec

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Nellabean:
    What color are the bottom of the feet? [​IMG]

All 3 of these breeds look alike when young and some what as adults..

Black Jerey Giants shanks and toes should be nearly black ( black preferred) Underpart of the feet should be yellow.

Black Orpington shanks and toes black to dark slate underpart of feet pinkish white.

Australorps shanks and toes black with underpart of feet white.

This right from APA book of standards..
    Chris

10. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Here is my Australope roos Freck he just turned 1 year old. He was one of two lower roosters when they were young I hand fed both of them and always made sure they got treats as Lucky the head rooster would not let them go far from their perch We rehomed Frack and Lucky and Freck turned nasty fast. He produces beautifu chicks so hes still around. DH loves his big black boy. Hes so tall you can't get him close up in the shot.lol
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by